diy solar

diy solar

EG4 3000 settings and quirks

JohnAntonioCollins

First a breif description of my system currently:
Eg4 3000, ECO-WORTHY 48v 50ah "stackable" dumb battery, a 120v shore power cord. That's it besides breakers and wiring. No solar or pv wires at all.

1. I have some settings that are not in the manual.
- what is setting #46? Looks like "ndC" with a picture of an arrow exiting the battery. Options are "off" and increments of 50 up to 500.
- What is setting #38? Looks like "nEC" and options look like "dis" and "ena" (disable/enable...what?)

2. Missing some that are in the manual.
- #43, "setting soc point bck to utility
- #44, setting soc point back to battery
- #45, low dc cutoff soc
(I'm guessing these may be related to battery type = agm, and are therefore not showing p? But all equalization settings related to agm are showing up, so that doesn't make sense.

3. The ESS app always shows 30.7v pv but there is nothing connected.
- is this power showing up due to lack of internal isolation?
- is this the ESS app having a bug?

4. ESS app battery percentage seems random, and has never been over 90% despite only charging from shore power for a day or more. System shut down, I presume due to draining the battery, a little sooner than I calculated. And ESS battery percent was over 60% at least.
- can I correct the soc if the eg4 and/or ESS have it wrong?
- is there anything I can do to improve soc tracking before I buy a smart-shunt?

4. The fans always run unless inverter and shore power are off. Is there anything I can do about that?

5. I changed some settings and now battery is not charging from shore power. No idea why.
- The settings shouldn't have stopped charging from shore power.
- I could be imagining it, but I thought I heard a pop after I powered back on.
- It's currently in bypass and not charging the battery. But It will run on the battery alone, so the battery is alive.
- may it have anything to do with no solar connected?

6. Are there any dedicated threads or groups anywhere for this unit?

7. What is the going rate for private sale of a unit that was purchased as a refurb 2 months ago? 🙃

Attachments

• 20240304_214341.jpg
    20240304_214341.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 2
  • 20240304_214512.jpg
    20240304_214512.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 2
UPDATE I was running it on battery alone, and reverted one setting, #2 max total charge current, from 50 back to 30. The unit shut itself down. I turned on shore power breaker. It powered back up, low and behold, it is charging and EG4/ESS both reporting 100% soc. (for the first time ever.)
- is it possible I somehow just never actually fully rebooted it to get itself calibrated after settlings changes before?
- is there a definite reboot sequence between settings changes?

UPDATE 2: looks like it went into float ok, but now ESS says soc 78%. It's been on shore power and bypass since last night. Silly software!

At least I've got my battery settings set up better than defaults. And it showed soc 100% after a reboot and in bulk mode. A Victron bvm is on the top of my list.

If anyone can address any of the other issues I'm all ears!

Yes I see similar issue with the inaccurate battery percentage on ESS app with my recently purchased EG4 3000 and LFP battery (non EG4 battery and no communication with inverter).

I'm thinking it's because the battery SOC displayed in the app calculated through the app rather than the inverter because I don't see SOC on the inverter. Looking at the graph between battery power and SOC in the app it seems rather just derived from mainly battery power which considering it seems to only record the data every 5 minutes, would be fairly inaccurate since it wouldn't be frequent enough for an accurate reading.

I've since gotten a battery monitor shunt and it's much more accurate.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240326-123858.png
    Screenshot_20240326-123858.png
    113.8 KB · Views: 1
Back