diy solar

diy solar

EG4 3000, ground fault clearing on DC?

ForestGnome

I had a few questions about grounding and bonding related to a single EG4 3000 inverter mostly stationary system.

For context, I have a grid-connected cabin, and I am using one inverter and battery mounted on a cart powering a few things inside the cabin. Occasionally I'll want to move it around, but for the most part, it will live parked in my cabin and be stationary. Right now, I just have the inverter and battery connected and working with grid charging. In future, I plan to have a small ground-mounted array and disconnects for everything to be able to move the cart around.

Below are my questions:

1) Bonding PV arrays for ground fault clearing
Should there be an ECG from the mounting equipment to the inverter ground? I'm assuming there is some internal sensor or fuse that could detect voltage on ground and disconnect the PV lines. How does the EG4 3000 detect ground faults on the PV side or should I use an external ground fault detector?

2) Bonding the Batteries for ground fault clearing
Should there be an ECG from the battery case to the inverter ground? How does the EG4 3000 detect ground faults on the battery side or should I use an external ground fault detector?

3) Earth Grounding, sharing earth rod of cabin
Can I run a GEC from the inverter to the cabin's grounding rod? Should the battery and PV array have their own GECs running to the same rod, or will ECGs from the battery and PV running to the earth-grounded inverter suffice?

Thanks!

Last edited:
I have the same questions. Did you find answers anywhere? I'll email EG4 and/or Signature Solar if I can't find published specs.

I had a few questions about grounding and bonding related to a single EG4 3000 inverter mostly stationary system.

For context, I have a grid-connected cabin, and I am using one inverter and battery mounted on a cart powering a few things inside the cabin. Occasionally I'll want to move it around, but for the most part, it will live parked in my cabin and be stationary. Right now, I just have the inverter and battery connected and working with grid charging. In future, I plan to have a small ground-mounted array and disconnects for everything to be able to move the cart around.

Below are my questions:

1) Bonding PV arrays for ground fault clearing
Should there be an ECG from the mounting equipment to the inverter ground? I'm assuming there is some internal sensor or fuse that could detect voltage on ground and disconnect the PV lines. How does the EG4 3000 detect ground faults on the PV side or should I use an external ground fault detector?

2) Bonding the Batteries for ground fault clearing
Should there be an ECG from the battery case to the inverter ground? How does the EG4 3000 detect ground faults on the battery side or should I use an external ground fault detector?

3) Earth Grounding, sharing earth rod of cabin
Can I run a GEC from the inverter to the cabin's grounding rod? Should the battery and PV array have their own GECs running to the same rod, or will ECGs from the battery and PV running to the earth-grounded inverter suffice?

Thanks!
EGC's from the array framing and battery enclosues should go to the AIO's ground point. The AIO will be grounded through the EGC with its AC input from the cabin.

Back