diy solar

diy solar

Upgrading RV with lifepo4: charging and combining issues

ffxfede

Hi everybody, I’m from Italy and I’m upgrading my Knaus boxlife 600DQ service battery replacing the actual 100ah agm with a 140ah lifepo4.

Actual components setup:

DC-DC Schaudt WA121525 set to agm

220v Battery charger CBE CB516-3

Distribution board CBE DS300 KN

120w solar panel

Unknown chinese mppt

Battery combining CBE CSB2

New setup:

DC-DC Schaudt WA121525 set to lithium

220v Battery charger Victron Blue Smart ip65 12/25

Distribution board CBE DS300 KN

480w solar panel

Victron mppt Smart Solar 100/50

Victron Smart Shunt

(Battery combining CBE CSB2)

I have few doubts about charging issues.

1- The DS300 already comes without R37 resistor and interconnecting relay, I think because the battery combining is managed by the CSB2. Anyway there is a cable connected to the DS300 B1+ pole coming from the Schaudt input+ pole with a 5ah fuse. At the same time in the Schaudt input+ pole there is also the bigger cable coming from the engine battery/alternator under a bigger 40ah fuse. I think the smaller cable going to the DS300 B1+ is only for battery monitoring on the Knaus appliances panel and not for charging the engine battery via DS300, because there is not the R37 resistor and the RL6 relay. Is it correct?

2- The Schaudt booster can be set up for lithium, but the maintaining charge is still 14.4 volt even with the battery full. This will affect battery life. I want to install a switch to shut the booster off when battery is full during long trips. But where should I place it?

A) The booster is activated by a D+ cable (green) coming from the DS300. Is this cable the right place for the switch?

B) Is it better in the + input line? In this case, having the small cable going from the + input to the B1+ of the DS300, if I interrupt the input line from engine battery I think I will not be able to check battery level from the panel anymore when the switch breaks the line. So should I connect the small wire to the B1+ directly to the cable from the engine battery before the switch?

C) Putting the switch in the + output wire going to the B2+ DS300 pole?

Is it correct breaking only the positive or should I interrupt both positive and negative in the B or C option?

I don’t know which is the correct solution.

3- about the CSB2 combining batteries. It is not for lifepo4 because it switches off when the service battery is lower than 12.5V. With a lifepo4 this will happen when the battery is practically empty. Can I put a switch on the service battery wire coming to the CSB2 to shut the combining off or will it cause issues somewhere?

4- the 220 battery charger CB516-3 has a white wire going to the DS300 for activating the charging led on the Knaus control panel. The victron charger hasn’t that line. How can I replicate it? It’s actually not important having the led on unless it will affect something else but I’m still not sure about that.

Thanks everybody in advance for the help

Attachments

• IMG_9396.jpeg
    IMG_9396.jpeg
    220 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9395.jpeg
    IMG_9395.jpeg
    145.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9408.jpeg
    IMG_9408.jpeg
    282.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9403.jpeg
    IMG_9403.jpeg
    152.7 KB · Views: 0
Charging lithium is not terribly different from AGM. With charging set to lithium I would call it good to go.
Actually the AGM setting would work probably fine also.

Yes if the lithium gets depleted when combined with a lead-acid by all means put a switch on there close to the lithium battery to separate.

diy solar

diy solar
Back