diy solar

diy solar

Using a hybrid inverter without solar

Dan21

Hi

I have a existing solar system and am wondering whether it is possible to use a hybrid inverter solely for batteries with the possibility of placing a separate solar array at a later date.

So in effect using it as a Ac coupled for now?

Depends on the inverter - you can certainly do that with the Solis S5 hybrid range.

That may depend on the inverter, but generally yes.

It'll be the same as using the inverter at night when there is no PV input. You'll need to set it up to charge from grid at the best times.

It'll be the same as using the inverter at night when there is no PV input.
Yes... but better than that. The Solis will charge its battery from its AC-grid port when it detects grid export is happening due to the existing (non-hybrid) inverter generating more than house load.

yes. With TOU rates, I'm thinking of a battery system for my daughter. Currently, kWh prices at night are too cheap to justify solar.

Thank you or your input, can you tell me on the solis inverters, what amperage does the inverter start to discharge battery? is this adjustable?

what amperage does the inverter start to discharge battery?

Not sure quite what you mean by that.

The Solis (like most hybrid inverters) monitors power to and from the grid via a power meter. In default "self-use" mode, it will attempt as far as it can to keep the grid import / export to zero.

So, if it detects (for example) that your existing PV is generating say 1000W and your house load is 1100W, there would be a net import of 100W, which the Solis would then reduce to zero by discharging from battery.

There is a few seconds ramp up / down time, so if you switch on a big load, you will have a few seconds of grid import before the battery supplies the load... & likewise in the opposite direction if a big load switches off.

That sort of answers my question, basically automatic via the smart meter/CT clamp, I just noticed on some inverters there has to be a minimum draw of 150w before the discharge of the battery is activated.

Yes... but better than that. The Solis will charge its battery from its AC-grid port when it detects grid export is happening due to the existing (non-hybrid) inverter generating more than house load.
Can you go into a little more detail on using the inverter as effectively an AC coupled.. as you seem to be well informed on them.

Placement of CT clamp, settings to make it do what I want etc.

Any info would be gratefully received .

diy solar

diy solar
Back