diy solar

diy solar

Using existing panels to power off-grid

On a cloudy day I'm going to be discharging the batteries via the inverter, how do I prevent the inverter from draining the batteries too much? Is there another device that can monitor the SoC/DoD and cut off the inverter to protect the batteries?
Low volt cut off , but I'm not sure if there's any that will work with an inverter, I know victrons 'battery protect' doesn't.

Your inverter should have a built in low volt cut off , generally set to 10.5v (100%dod on gels/AGM batteries). On most good inverters it's adjustable

This should give you a rough idea , but voltage is a poor indicator of SOC%, , you're better off with a good quality shunt measuring amps in vs amps out to give you a true soc

Resting voltage only:
state-of-charge-chart-for-agm-battery (1).png

Last edited:

Sorry for spamming your thread LOL

Have a look at this cheap hybrid inverter ,, it could be a good option for you...
Certainly not as good quality as victron or other top brands , but they work , 3 year warranty that Edecoa does actually honour

It could take the place of your inverter & mppt . Only £262.99 delivered, it would definitely get you started ?

Low volt cut off , but I'm not sure if there's any that will work with an inverter, I know victrons 'battery protect' doesn't.

Your inverter should have a built in low volt cut off , generally set to 10.5v (100%dod on gels/AGM batteries). On most good inverters it's adjustable

This should give you a rough idea , but voltage is a poor indicator of SOC%, , you're better off with a good quality shunt measuring amps in vs amps out to give you a true soc

Resting voltage only:
View attachment 171020

I found this project on Github (see screenshot) that allows me to connect to the Victron MPPT via an ESP32 (ESPhome) and gather data via bluetooth, it includes battery current and voltage but not SoC (the smart shunt is required for that).

I'm very familiar with ESPhome and ESP32 Arduino coding in general, so it would be trivial to build a little unit that would automatically turn off the inverter when the battery voltage falls below a specific value. But I'm wondering if this is going to be accurate enough, or if a shunt is the right way to go from the start.

I like that Victron opened their BLE protocol to allow stuff like this, I use HomeAssistant back at my house so I can integrate my off-grid solar stats into that for remote monitoring.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-10-06 at 11.22.43.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-10-06 at 11.22.43.jpg
    194.3 KB · Views: 0

Have a look at this cheap hybrid inverter ,, it could be a good option for you...
Certainly not as good quality as victron or other top brands , but they work , 3 year warranty that Edecoa does actually honour

It could take the place of your inverter & mppt . Only £262.99 delivered, it would definitely get you started ?

You're not spamming at all, I really appreciate all of the input. This forum is full of generous smart people.

I'm very familiar with ESPhome and ESP32 Arduino coding in general, so it would be trivial to build a little unit that would automatically turn off the inverter when the battery voltage falls below a specific value. But I'm wondering if this is going to be accurate enough, or if a shunt is the right way to go from the start.

You're a brighter man that I , I can hardly program the VCR

You're not spamming at all, I really appreciate all of the input. This forum is full of generous smart people.

Certainly not as good quality as victron or other top brands , but they work , 3 year warranty that does actually honour

That Edecoa unit is temping in terms of price, and it can handle 430v MPPT input! Which would save me a trip to the roof to re-configure the 4 panels in 2S2P configuration. However, I can't find a data-sheet, manual or review for it anywhere!

That Edecoa unit is temping in terms of price, and it can handle 430v MPPT input! Which would save me a trip to the roof to re-configure the 4 panels in 2S2P configuration. However, I can't find a data-sheet, manual or review for it anywhere!

Found some reviews on AliExpress but no data sheet as of yet .... they do come with a good manuel one in the box (but obviously you'd have to buy one to get it , pretty useless ?)

This has similar specs , quite a bit more money , photonic universe are an OK~ company

Tbh all these cheap hybrids are a much of a muchness , most are actually made in the same factory & just badged with different brand names

Right, im going to order the Edecoa and pair it with the £150 gel batteries and see how it performs. Its such a cheap and easy option i think its worth a punt.

If it doesn't work ill get the victron kit and separate inverter. Will report back

Right, im going to order the Edecoa and pair it with the £150 gel batteries and see how it performs. Its such a cheap and easy option i think its worth a punt.

If it doesn't work ill get the victron kit and separate inverter. Will report back
....and the ebay list for the batteries is dead :-(

....and the ebay list for the batteries is dead :-(

Stock levels do shift , but he's always got something

Responds quick so might be worth dropping him a message, could have more available but not yet listed

4 of these would do the trick

Reporting back, so I bought the config you guys suggested and it's all working great!

But I have a question. The AC INPUT has an Earth wire which is internally connected to the chassis of the unit. But the AC OUTPUT does not have an Earth (see attached pic).

Screenshot 2023-10-24 at 09.36.04.jpgScreenshot 2023-10-24 at 09.38.15.jpg

Is Earth not supported on the output side or should I connect it to the screw terminal Earth of the chassis on the bottom left of the image?

Inverter specs:

Screenshot 2023-10-24 at 09.39.13.jpg

Hi everyone.

Has anyone used admin login to access the emm554A console , struggling to find a password, used admin,Admin,password,00000,12345, parts of serial number. unit connects to the windows program, bit temperamental over drivers, able to display unit information, but not able to login.
tried contacting info.edecoa.com email bounced back.

thanks

diy solar

diy solar
Back