diy solar

diy solar

Using of battery charger with shore power

knewzie20

I am setting up a van system with 2 100Ah lithium batteries and am wondering if I can use a battery charger with shore power ? I have solar panels (4x100W) to charge when out an about. I did not want to purchase expensive Victron energy multi-charger. I have inverter (3000W) as separate unit. Is there a specific type to use with lithium batteries? We did not want to use the alternator to charge but just shore power. We can find diagrams than include the alternator but not anything to use just solar and shore power. Can you offer any diagram example links or suggestions? Thanks

Have you looked at Will's DIY solar blueprints that are linked at the top of the forum page? Those should help get you pointed in the right direction.

Thanks for the question. Yes, we have used the diagram and equipment recommended except there is no examples of how to connect shore power. We used the basic "Classic 400W solar blue print". We are unsure of the connections, and type of charger we could use with the lithium batteries to use if we were to need some backup power for charging our system.

There are inverters that have an input for shore power that will charge the batteries when shore power is connected.

If you look in the safety check section, you can look at people's designs, that has answered a lot of questions for me. Unfortunately it has created a lot as well.

Last edited:
We have seen one type of inverter/charger (Victron). Do you have any recommendations for this type of inverter/charger? We do have an inverter (pure sine 3000W). We were trying to avoid sending it back but if that is a better way to go then we would. We were hoping just to add the battery charger to the whole system but would love to know the best way recommended from those who know.

I am setting up a van system with 2 100Ah lithium batteries and am wondering if I can use a battery charger with shore power ?
Yes, you absolutely can. There are several manufacturers to choose from. Will has Progressive Dynamics chargers listed on his other website. You could start there.

I have not gotten one yet but plan on replacing my little inverter with one. Have not decided on which one yet.

Thank you for the link to Will's battery charger page. I missed this in all the watching and reading. I will check it out now.

Next question about the battery charger: how do I know how much Amps on the charger?

Next question about the battery charger: how do I know how much Amps on the charger?
That depends on several factors including how fast you want your batteries to charge, your budget for a charger, the recommended charge rate of your batteries, etc. If you have drop-in batteries like Battle Born, check what the manufacturer's recommended charge rate is and go from there.

Back