diy solar

diy solar

Using Sol-Ark 12K to sell back to the Grid

SolarHead

50% of people are below average. (Its a statistic)
Does anyone on here using a Sol-Ark 12K to sell back to the Grid? I thought I'd ask how do you like it, does it have anything you would want to change? What size PV array do you have and does it cover your loads, charge batteries to 100% and have enough to sell (how much?) back to the grid? I am considering trying it, and originally said I would never sell to the grid, had zero desire, but then I found out more about it and now think I may apply for it. My array is 11.5kw and I'm kind of wondering how much I'll actually be able to sell back. Not sure yet because I have new batteries on order and kind of think I will have to wait for the batteries to be in use for a few weeks before I will have any idea if or how much excess power I may produce that I can potentially sell back to the grid. I know net metering is kind of getting to where the utility companies are not wanting to do it any more, or have plans to get out of the situation where they are buying power from their customers.

You may want to install an energy monitor on your main panel to keep tabs on your usage. Emporia is reasonably priced, the base model with 2 CT's which will do NET metering on your mains is only $69.99.

I bought and tried an Emporia monitor. They admitted the software would not show the correct amperage , it was something to do with the two legs (120V each leg) and the phases going back and forth and their software was not able to figure out which leg was the higher amps. They could not give me a timeline on when the bug would be fixed so I returned it.

I can read the meter they plan to swap my existing meter with. It should show incoming power, and outgoing (sell) power which I can read on the meter. I am hoping PowerView app will keep track of exported power. That should be enough to satisfy my monitoring needs.

They admitted the software would not show the correct amperage ,
Curious how long ago that was. I've been using their 8 CT model and have found that the mains readings are accurate as far as agreement with our utility billing records with NET metering etc. My experience with Emporia not moving very fast to upgrade the firmware and fix bugs is annoying same as you described. They finally got the web based app working and I've been waiting over year for an upgrade that will allow NET metering of a subpanel in addition to just the mains. All they every say is "We're working on it".

I have two friends who sell back to grid in Nor-Cal-booth have Generac systems installed by solar outfits
Every Utility in every state is different on this
Here they do the net metering and review once a year-you get a check No more than few hundred $ a year tops. There is a limit-most of these solar systems are based on net zero. Most have 12-16 panels and run a defeciet in winter and surplus in summer-hence the yaersly adjustment.
The utility is trying I hear to turn this into a credit somehow?
With your surplus you can heat water-thats what I do

Last edited:
Curious how long ago that was. I've been using their 8 CT model and have found that the mains readings are accurate as far as agreement with our utility billing records with NET metering etc. My experience with Emporia not moving very fast to upgrade the firmware and fix bugs is annoying same as you described. They finally got the web based app working and I've been waiting over year for an upgrade that will allow NET metering of a subpanel in addition to just the mains. All they every say is "We're working on it".
I wanted to see peak amps and from what I remember their software would not record or show it correctly. They were "working on it" when asked if they were going to fix it.

With the Sol-arc you can set to charge batteries then sell back and left over and never draw battery power to grid.

Last edited:
I sell back all excess PV to the grid with my Sol-Ark 12k. Additionally, I have 6 EG4-LL batts (30Kw) that are used to supplement during peak times. They call it TOU (time of use). You can config the solarc to just cover your load during those peak time with the battery power. For example, if your home load is more than your PV is producing, the batts will jump in to shave off the top and zero you. But if you produce more PV during those times than is needed, it sells back to grid. It works flawlessly.

Additionally, Sol-ark’s come with CT rings to put on your main panel or as close to meter as you can get and that’s how it knows what the home load, export, import is at all times.

Last edited:
I'm doing grid sell back with a Sol-ark 12k, I really like the quality and all-in-one abilities of it, it's a slick setup, still learning a few things but it's pretty easy to figure out

Attachments

• 20220605_150203.jpg
    20220605_150203.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 18
Back