diy solar

diy solar

valance batteries for simple motor propulsion system?

57sailplane

Hi All,

i understand this a solar forum but i cant seem to find anyplace else on the web that discusses these things.

i am wanting to install 3 valance u 27 138ah batteries in series on my boat to propel the trolling motor. there would be a great advantage to running these via weight loss, run time and cycle duty. only thing is is I'm not exactly sure the best rout to go. I am not very familiar with programing but am willing to learn. I see that each of the batteries have an individual bms which can be daisy chained together then connected to a u-charge controller. i understand that these battieries need to be in a kind of controlled environment in which they are not charged when they are to cold like 0 deg and not charged when they are to hot. also load should not be drawn on them when they are at 10.75 volts or less. to my knowledge there is another option for controller but not sure its the best rout. oh yes and the motor draw is 50 amps maximum.

what i want is a 36volt system 3 batteries in series with an on board charger connected to the batteries. hoping i can use my minkoto 10 amp 3 bank charger which charges each battery individually and it has an agm setting. i would like to use the best controller for the bms system. i think i will need a relay to shut off the charger when batteries hit a certain temp and a relay for the motor when battery consumption is low. i will probably need some battery heaters as this system will be in cold conditions during the winter.

this is what i have kind of figured out by reading and doing research if there is more i need to think about please let me know. i am wondering if it is as easy as hooking up the batteries in series with relay to the motor, connecting charger that i have with relay to cut off power to it in case of temp deviation, then hooking up the u-charge controller and daisy chaining the batteries together and setting the parameters in the program to do what i need. like keeping them from being charged when they get to cold.

just contemplating if this is all realy worth the trouble..

Last edited:
Do you have a link to the battery? Odds are it has a built in BMS, so if they are rated for series connection, you should be good to go.

Back