diy solar

diy solar

Verticle mounting provides more output

alanspurgeon

Anyone else see that youtube video about vertical placement of PV panels providing slightly more power than one facing the sun? It seems unexpected, right? Has anyone given it a test? I wonder if the latitude and time of the year had an some weird effect on this measurement.

If that is more direct pointing into the sun than laying flat then of course you get more output. Unless on the Equator or south of the Northern Equator then your panels will need to be tilted to get the best results. Don't over-think it.

Matt Farrell framed it in a misleading way.

Vertical does not produce more than correctly tilted. Vertical can produce more than previous estimates of vertical production predicted.

Correct angle is still best.

I have seen vertical panels produce more power. IME:

In the winter: Yes. because sun is less than 45 degrees from the horizon most of the day, the panels on the walls do better.
In the summer: No. because sun is more than 45 degrees from the horizon most of the day, the panels on the roof do better.

You can get data throughout the year by going to any solar calculator like PV watts or the one in my signature data and putting different angles for the panels. Almost as if science supports this.

The flat panels on walls can be good for certain situations like in AZ where the temp is 100° F when the sun rises and °115 F when the sun sets in the summer if you wanted power earlier in the day and later in the day to run AC. Each set of panels would not produce more kWh total per day on the wall in the summer, but would produce higher kWh per day on a south facing roof, but would not be at the time needed.

I could see how vertical panels would produce more power when the sun barely comes off of the horizon during winter months here in Maine. Also, with bi-facial panels vertical ground mounted panels close to the snow would accept more sunlight on both sides. The final thought I had would be less maintenance (cleaning off snow) during heavy snow fall time periods of the winter. Other than that, all studies I've read say the optimal fixed angle (in our part of the world) is around 44 degrees for fixed mount, year round position.

diy solar

diy solar
Back