diy solar

diy solar

Victron 500amp smart shunt setting review ?

Kcdaniels

My system is 12v two Lithium batteries Wired in parallel For a total of 400 amp hours Connected to a victron multiple plus 2000 inverter.

I added the Victron smart shunt and a little confused about the settings. Here is a few pictures of my current settings do they seem ok ?

pictures

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230113_160351.jpg
    Screenshot_20230113_160351.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 33
  • Screenshot_20230113_150504.jpg
    Screenshot_20230113_150504.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 33
  • Screenshot_20230113_150242.jpg
    Screenshot_20230113_150242.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 35
more

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230113_145502.jpg
    Screenshot_20230113_145502.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 28
  • Screenshot_20230113_145445.jpg
    Screenshot_20230113_145445.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 28
The Peukert exponent is the discharge efficiency fudge factor. See Victron's explanation document attached. Charge efficiency is ....charging current efficiency.

LFP batteries are very efficient for charging and discharging. It will be between 99.5% at discharge less than 0.1 C(A) current, and about 97% at 0.5 C(A) current. That chart attached has efficiency vs current so use a number that matches your average use case current draw for discharge and charge currents.

Your Peukert setting is likely a little low, meaning too good efficiency.
Your Charge efficiency is also likely too low, meaning too poor. Probably want 97% to 98%.

Problem is 12v systems often have a lot of cable losses so getting the number right is tougher.

What all this means is the fudging factor the Columb counter applies to battery input current (charging) and battery output current (discharging) per second of time to cumulate the goes-into minus the goes-out-of battery AH's of current.

The cumulative Columb counter tally is like 'dead reckoning' navigation. Errors are accumulated over time due primarily to current measurement accuracy of shunt depending on absolute current. Low currents usually have poorer accuracy.

The full battery 100% reset is a reference point when battery is fully charged up that resets the Columb counter and clears out any accumulated errors that have grown over time. 2% tail current is likely too low and restrictive for resetting to 100% full charge. It may cause it to reset less often resulting in more accumulated errors due to longer periods between resetting to 100% full status.

For Columb counter to work it needs two references. 1) battery AH capacity. 2) A fully charged 100% or known state of charge to start working from.

There are provisions to estimate SoC when first installed and manually setting SoC into battery monitor so you can get a close number right after installing unit. Best to fully charge battery and make sure monitor resets to 100%. If it does not reset to 100% when you think you fully charged battery, then you have the 100% full trigger set to restrictive. This is usually done when just slightly below absorb voltage but Victron also adds the taper down tail current during absorb charge period to declare a full charge.

For 'smart' monitors, they can figure AH on their own but require a full charge, full discharge cycle to do so. You can manually put in any number you like for battery AH capacity. For example, you might want to set it to 80% of actual battery capacity if you want the display to be conservative, holding 20% in reserve from view so you never get a low battery BMS shutdown when monitor still shows 10% capacity left.

When you have normal inverter/charger operation with random charging and discharging you may never hit the low tail current number and therefore never reset the Columb counter to clear cumulative errors. I would use a tail current, relative to battery AH entered, of about 20-40% of your typically bulk charging current.

LF280 AH battery dischg 0.1C-1.0C.png

Attachments

• Battery capacity and Peukert exponent.pdf
    119 KB · Views: 10
The Peukert exponent is the discharge efficiency fudge factor. See Victron's explanation document attached. Charge efficiency is ....charging current efficiency.

LFP batteries are very efficient for charging and discharging. It will be between 99.5% at discharge less than 0.1 C(A) current, and about 97% at 0.5 C(A) current. That chart attached has efficiency vs current so use a number that matches your average use case current draw for discharge and charge currents.

Your Peukert setting is likely a little low, meaning too good efficiency.
Your Charge efficiency is also likely too low, meaning too poor. Probably want 97% to 98%.

Problem is 12v systems often have a lot of cable losses so getting the number right is tougher.

What all this means is the fudging factor the Columb counter applies to battery input current (charging) and battery output current (discharging) per second of time to cumulate the goes-into minus the goes-out-of battery AH's of current.

The cumulative Columb counter tally is like 'dead reckoning' navigation. Errors are accumulated over time due primarily to current measurement accuracy of shunt depending on absolute current. Low currents usually have poorer accuracy.

The full battery 100% reset is a reference point when battery is fully charged up that resets the Columb counter and clears out any accumulated errors that have grown over time. 2% tail current is likely too low and restrictive for resetting to 100% full charge. It may cause it to reset less often resulting in more accumulated errors due to longer periods between resetting to 100% full status.

For Columb counter to work it needs two references. 1) battery AH capacity. 2) A fully charged 100% or known state of charge to start working from.

There are provisions to estimate SoC when first installed and manually setting SoC into battery monitor so you can get a close number right after installing unit. Best to fully charge battery and make sure monitor resets to 100%. If it does not reset to 100% when you think you fully charged battery, then you have the 100% full trigger set to restrictive. This is usually done when just slightly below absorb voltage but Victron also adds the taper down tail current during absorb charge period to declare a full charge.

For 'smart' monitors, they can figure AH on their own but require a full charge, full discharge cycle to do so. You can manually put in any number you like for battery AH capacity. For example, you might want to set it to 80% of actual battery capacity if you want the display to be conservative, holding 20% in reserve from view so you never get a low battery BMS shutdown when monitor still shows 10% capacity left.

When you have normal inverter/charger operation with random charging and discharging you may never hit the low tail current number and therefore never reset the Columb counter to clear cumulative errors. I would use a tail current, relative to battery AH entered, of about 20-40% of your typically bulk charging current.

View attachment 129726
thank you for the reply but for this old man kinda got lost..haha

Here are my settings;

Attachments

• 63C9B210-B23B-4347-85EA-EC3BC6141BFE.png
    63C9B210-B23B-4347-85EA-EC3BC6141BFE.png
    266.5 KB · Views: 33
Your cables are wrong. Shunt should be between both neg battery cables and neg bus bar. You only have one battery on the shunt.
thank you...I have another post going and someone spotted it..?
can I connect both battery negative to shunt "battery negative" then "battery load" to buss bar ?

Two options. Put both Batt Neg on the battery side of shunt. Then short jumper from System Neg to the Neg busbar. Or, since you only have one cable for your system Neg, put that on the shunt. Then both Batt Neg to busbar and short jumper to Batt side of shunt. That is the option I would use, unless you have more components to add later. I would also move that positive ring terminal from the same post as Batt Pos. Just stack it with the other small ring.

thank you...I have another post going and someone spotted it..?
can I connect both battery negative to shunt "battery negative" then "battery load" to buss bar ?
Exactly this. Relocate the shunt so it's reachable by both identically sized negative leads and attach both to the battery minus terminal.
Then a jumper from shunt system minus to the negative busbar, just as you have it.

Exactly this. Relocate the shunt so it's reachable by both identically sized negative leads and attach both to the battery minus terminal.
Then a jumper from shunt system minus to the negative busbar, just as you have it.
I have 2 4/0 lugs stacked on my shunt. I had to buy a longer brass bolt for the shunt.

Back