diy solar

diy solar

victron inverter AC output to AC panel, recomended 6awg and 75amp breaker?

btempini

Just going to ask because I am unsure and it seems like overkill. I am running a victron 120v 3000w inverter in my van, so far I have 30amp shore power hooked up, battery to victron shunt and distribution box. 400 amp fuse (manual recommendation) to the inverter. Then for my AC output I am running to this box. (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HJ6PZJE?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details). It says 30-50 amp service. So can I run 6awg wires for my ac output to a 30/50amp breaker? Did I get the wrong box?

If your Victron puts out 3000w at 120vAC that works out to 25 amps. So I would expect that a 30a breaker and service would be fine. However reading up on that combination AC and DC service box I note it has aluminum bus bars. I am leery of any aluminum components unless there is no other choice. For AC service wire you could run 10 awg since that is 30a rated unless in conduit.

The battery side of the distribution box I do not now the specs you are needing to meet.

so in the victron manual it says minimum wire gauge for ac output 1 is awg 6 and rated current of 75amps. This might be due to the power assist feature, which is why I'm getting confused.

If Victron recommends a certain breaker size and wire gauge for their unit to reach max output than they have their reasons. I will note however that you can go smaller if your loads are never going to reach above a certain amperage. Loads and wires are how you size breakers for protection. No need to tie up your chihuahua with a 1/2 inch chain.

Back