diy solar

diy solar

Victron Multi plus ii goes into overload with DC ripple code when switch is on Generator. Without Generator creating power.

Crosstastic

Just to be clear, this is when Generator is not turned on. Inverter functions fine when switch is turned onto shore power. When switch is flipped to generator it creates a nasty ”inverting” noise in the generator itself, like a loud, nasty electrical buzz and creates codes. Can anyone shed some light. It is inverting properly When switch is on short power.

When you say 'switch', I assume you mean a transfer switch.

You must allow inverter to disconnect AC input and open its pass-through relay before switching to a different AC input with random AC phase difference from what inverter was running on for AC input.

If you immediately flip between shore AC and generator AC, or vice-versa, the pass-through relay will still be closed and generator will have a random phase relative to what shore power was which inverter is still in sync with.

Only when inverter's pass-through relay opens does inverter slowly skews back to internal inverter frequency/phase and then goes through a new relocking process when it sees a new AC input source before re-closing pass-through relay again on new AC source phase lock.

If you do not allow inverter's pass-through connect relay to release from AC input before applying a different AC input source, you might just pop AC input breaker, damage pass-through relay contacts, cause inverter to shut down with an error, or even damage inverter.

Last edited:
If you take the inverter out of the circuit, does the generator produce clean power? An oscilloscope would be handy here, but I would at least check the AC voltage that is being produced by the generator.

When you say 'switch', I assume you mean a transfer switch.

You must allow inverter to disconnect AC input and open its pass-through relay before switching to a different AC input with random AC phase difference from what inverter was running on for AC input.

If you immediately flip between shore AC and generator AC, or vice-versa, the pass-through relay will still be closed and generator will have a random phase relative to what shore power was which inverter is still in sync with.

Only when inverter's pass-through relay opens does inverter slowly skews back to internal inverter frequency/phase and then goes through a new relocking process when it sees a new AC input source before re-closing pass-through relay again on new AC source phase lock.

If you do not allow inverter's pass-through connect relay to release from AC input before applying a different AC input source, you might just pop AC input breaker, damage pass-through relay contacts, cause inverter to shut down with an error, or even damage inverter.
Yes manual transfer switch. Neither AC input have actually been live yet. I switched between the two and I get a fault when switched to generator. Shouldn’t it still be inverting if no AC input is present?

When AC input is applied, the inverter will first slowly adjust its frequency/phase and AC voltage to match the AC input. After syncing to AC input the inverter closes pass-through relay and the inverter then runs in parallel with AC input source.

Pass-through relay should be open if there has been no AC input for several seconds to a minute.

It can take some time before inverter releases pass-through relay after AC input is removed. You should see an indicator light on inverter and possibly hear the click of the relay.

Under certain conditions, like no charging required and no AC output load on inverter, that creates near zero current draw on AC input which keeps pass-through relay engaged for a while after AC input is removed. This is why you need to be sure the pass-through relay has opened before applying another AC source which will have a random AC sinewave phase relative to what the inverter is running at.

Other possibility is you have welded together pass-through relay contacts on pass-through relay. This can happen when you have an immediate A/B transfer switch on AC input and jump between two active AC sources putting high AC current surges through relay contacts. Check for AC voltage on inverter AC input port when no AC input source has been connected. If you have a welded relay you will see AC voltage from the active inverter showing up on AC input port.

This can create a dangerous condition for an RV shore power male plug as the exposed male prongs of AC plug will have live 120 vac voltage from inverter on them. You should have an AC breaker between inverter AC input and AC input cord and flip AC breaker off any time RV plug is not actually plugged into AC source. It is very important to flip AC breaker off before you remove RV shore power plug from AC outlet.

Last edited:
When AC input is applied, the inverter will first slowly adjust its frequency/phase and AC voltage to match the AC input. After syncing to AC input the inverter closes pass-through relay and the inverter then runs in parallel with AC input source.

Pass-through relay should be open if there has been no AC input for several seconds to a minute.

It can take some time before inverter releases pass-through relay after AC input is removed. You should see an indicator light on inverter and possibly hear the click of the relay.

Under certain conditions, like no charging required and no AC output load on inverter, that creates near zero current draw on AC input which keeps pass-through relay engaged for a while after AC input is removed. This is why you need to be sure the pass-through relay has opened before applying another AC source which will have a random AC sinewave phase relative to what the inverter is running at.

Other possibility is you have welded together pass-through relay contacts on pass-through relay. This can happen when you have an immediate A/B transfer switch on AC input and jump between two active AC sources putting high AC current surges through relay contacts. Check for AC voltage on inverter AC input port when no AC input source has been connected. If you have a welded relay you will see AC voltage from the active inverter showing up on AC input port.

This can create a dangerous condition for an RV shore power male plug as the exposed male prongs of AC plug will have live 120 vac voltage from inverter on them. You should have an AC breaker between inverter AC input and AC input cord and flip AC breaker off any time RV plug is not actually plugged into AC source. It is very important to flip AC breaker off before you remove RV shore power plug from AC outlet.
I understand what you’re saying about the pass-through relay getting stuck open. But I keep reiterating that this multi plus has never had any AC input. I flipped it to shore power, and I flipped it to the aft deck, short power plug just to see if it was back feeding power to that plug and there was no voltage. like I said before the inverter functions just fine until you turn that transfer switch, which is a manual transfer switch to generator. I’m about to take the boat over to the dock and plug it into shore power but that still isn’t going to solve my problem with being switched to generator. Any chance you could give me a call? It would mean the world lol… 949.500.9378.

Just to be clear, this is when Generator is not turned on. Inverter functions fine when switch is turned onto shore power. When switch is flipped to generator it creates a nasty ”inverting” noise in the generator itself, like a loud, nasty electrical buzz and creates codes. Can anyone shed some light. It is inverting properly When switch is on short power.
Any buzzing sound present on generator with generator off has to be caused by AC back feeding into generator.

Inverter should not engage its pass-through relay that connects inverter to AC input until it detects AC input and inverter adjusts its phase and voltage to match AC input.

There are small value EMI RF interference capacitors connected from each AC port to case of inverter. If case is floating it may dribble some small amount of AC current through the EMI caps to a floating case. The AC current should only be less than 10 mA so I would not expect it to cause much buzzing into non-running generator but it might be possible.

Most generators come default with neutral NOT connected to generator case ground. You should ground your generator neutral output to its case in a boat. All the cases as well as your AC outlets ground pins should be connected together. It is your boat's ground. It is also a good idea to connect the engine case to boat ground which has its prop shaft in the water.

When shore power is connected, the generator's neutral must be released by transfer switch or you will have neutral-ground connection on shore power line that will trip any GFCI breakers on the shore power. When on shore power it is important that neutral within boat is disconnected from ground line running to shore power. Only shore power should do the neutral-ground bonding when connected to shore power.

Sometimes the inverter's EMI capacitors to case ground, which will be connected to shore power ground, may give trouble tripping shore power GFCI breakers.

Any buzzing sound present on generator with generator off has to be caused by AC back feeding into generator.

Inverter should not engage its pass-through relay that connects inverter to AC input until it detects AC input and inverter adjusts its phase and voltage to match AC input.

There are small value EMI RF interference capacitors connected from each AC port to case of inverter. If case is floating it may dribble some small amount of AC current through the EMI caps to a floating case. The AC current should only be less than 10 mA so I would not expect it to cause much buzzing into non-running generator but it might be possible.

Most generators come default with neutral NOT connected to generator case ground. You should ground your generator neutral output to its case in a boat. All the cases as well as your AC outlets ground pins should be connected together. It is your boat's ground. It is also a good idea to connect the engine case to boat ground which has its prop shaft in the water.

When shore power is connected, the generator's neutral must be released by transfer switch or you will have neutral-ground connection on shore power line that will trip any GFCI breakers on the shore power. When on shore power it is important that neutral within boat is disconnected from ground line running to shore power. Only shore power should do the neutral-ground bonding when connected to shore power.

Sometimes the inverter's EMI capacitors to case ground, which will be connected to shore power ground, may give trouble tripping shore power GFCI breakers.
So the way I’m wired right now, I am in fact back feeding to the male shore power plugs on the boat. could my wiring create this issue? There’s no way I fused the relay as you mentioned because I still haven’t had AC sources to switch back and forth. Obviously it sounds like my AC in side of the inverter is in fact transferring power though. Do I need to replace the unit at this point?

Back