diy solar

diy solar

Victron MultiPlus II / MultiPlus II 2x120V in a home setting

KevinC_63559

Per the Spec Sheet both units are designed as 120V inverters utilizing battery power when AC Power is loss. Cool, get that.

Both units have a 240V pass thru mode (requires (2) MultiPlus II or (1) MultiPlus II 2x120V if I'm reading it right) where 50amps of 240V power is available on the output side if provided on the input side. The 240V power drops when AC goes away. OK, nothing in === nothing out.

I'm guessing this has value in boat or RV situations, but does it buy me anything in a home situation? Wouldn't I just wire my 240V needs into my non-critical panel and use the 120V single pole breakers in the critical panel?

Would the 2x120V simplify installation? e.g. Run a 50Amp 240V as AC In with L1 and L2 being hot and N being neutral, then feeding L1 Out to one side of a panel, and L2 Out to the other side (sharing the common neutral) and then being careful to only put computers on the L1 Out side of the panel? Lights, hand tool battery chargers, and other things that could handle a 40ms blink being wired to the other side? That would yield 50amp on both sides of the critical panel right? (vs. using L1#1 on one side and L1#2 on the other, sharing 50amps between them???)

My existing grid panel only has (3) 240V breakers in it. Thinking perhaps the easiest conversion may be to move my main to the smallest 200amp panel I can find, rewire those (3) breakers into it, and add a 50amp breaker for a Multiplus II 2x120V? Speaking of breakers, the Multiplus is rated at 50A per leg, but the 2x120V is only 5500VA surge, so about 45amps total. Right?

Last edited:
Would the 2x120V simplify installation? e.g. Run a 50Amp 240V as AC In with L1 and L2 being hot and N being neutral, then feeding L1 Out to one side of a panel, and L2 Out to the other side (sharing the common neutral) and then being careful to only put computers on the L1 Out side of the panel? Lights, hand tool battery chargers, and other things that could handle a 40ms blink being wired to the other side? That would yield 50amp on both sides of the critical panel right? (vs. using L1#1 on one side and L1#2 on the other, sharing 50amps between them???)
You may be aware but the legs are alternated as you go down the breaker panel, not one side being L1 and the other being L2

You may be aware but the legs are alternated as you go down the breaker panel, not one side being L1 and the other being L2
Yeah, over-simplification on my part. Sorry.

Spent more time reading and sorting info in my head. Currently under the impression for my usage, there is little need for the 120V versions. So can close this thread.

Back