diy solar

diy solar

Victron owners, fan noise?

Nan_wpg

Solar Enthusiast
Howdy. Final selection for my setup is now a tossup between morningstars new inverter line, and a Victron multiplus 2 (1 x 120 version)

both are tier 1 product, built tough.

morningstar does not use fans and they claim no noise, and no fans to fail or suck in duct, etc. they rely on a massive, heavy heat sink design.

im not exactly sure of inverter placement, but if the fan noise is troublesome then that limits my placement to outside the main building.

morningstar disadvantage is lack of AIO, and inverter charger. I’d need to go completely seperate. Victron is an inverter / charger, updateable, and I really like their “system” approach, with the distribution center, cerbo, etc. and not gonna lie, my wife’s favorite color is blue so I won’t get in as much @$#% for spending money on blue solar equipment. lol.

leary of the fan. I used at one point a 2000w 12v inverter from Canadian tire. It was loud like a jet plane. It’s not even near the same class as Victron, but the nightmares, lol.

so, how’s the noise?

I have a samlex and it has fans. In power save mode they almost never run except when running huge loads like a microwave etc. When they do run they are not crazy loud. Right now while not in power save its running on super slow mode and I have a TV, Laptop and chest freezer running.
Im using a samlex 1200-24v hard wire. Built like a tank. Low freq. Huge coil for big loads starting. They also make a 48v. It weighs 65lbs.

I have a Victron Phoenix 48/5000. There is no way I’d put that anywhere a living space. It’s not just the fan noise, the hum is loud too.
The Victron’s seem to last OK for a cheap inverter, but they are noisy things.

I have a Victron Phoenix 48/5000. There is no way I’d put that anywhere a living space. It’s not just the fan noise, the hum is loud too.
The Victron’s seem to last OK for a cheap inverter, but they are noisy things.
Cheap? Victron is,expensive.

i,guess maybe Victron isn’t a good choice

IMHO no inverter or battery "belongs" in a living space. Closest I would be comfortable with is a garage or other similar space that does NOT have shared ventilation. Noise is a factor, but more importantly IF there is a fire of any kind of smoldering I'd rather have that somewhat separated. Plus dust in a living space is generally worse (unless you are comparing to a hobby wood/metal shop of course :LOL: ).

As far as fan noise, even my cheaper AIO ramps the fans down fairly quiet at low load. If you want something fully passive thats going to cost (a lot) more. I don't know if anyone makes Inverter/charger or AIO that do fan-stop at low load, but that would be an amazing QOL feature (even in a garage fan noise can come through, it's one of the reasons I got rid of my old dell servers...)

I can't imagine putting any inverter in a living space.
I have a Victron Quattro 5k/120v/70a inverter. Most of the time the fan is not running. Under load it comes on but it really pretty quiet.
What little fan noise there is...well, it is ok with me since it is doing its job to keep the inverter running efficiently.
Morningstar is good equipment. Victron, IMO, is a full step above.
In addition to the Victron inverter I mentioned, I also have a Victron 150/70 MPPT and CCGX. I am now upgrading my system to a second Quattro and a second 170/70 MPPT. I will also be adding a Victron Lynx Shunt & 2xPowerIn.
Victron is good stuff...period.

I can't imagine putting any inverter in a living space.
I have a Victron Quattro 5k/120v/70a inverter. Most of the time the fan is not running. Under load it comes on but it really pretty quiet.
What little fan noise there is...well, it is ok with me since it is doing its job to keep the inverter running efficiently.
Morningstar is good equipment. Victron, IMO, is a full step above.
In addition to the Victron inverter I mentioned, I also have a Victron 150/70 MPPT and CCGX. I am now upgrading my system to a second Quattro and a second 170/70 MPPT. I will also be adding a Victron Lynx Shunt & 2xPowerIn.
Victron is good stuff...period.
I likely won’t put the inverter in a living space. But sometimes I place a value on something (right or wrong) if I COULD do something. When possible I like to keep all options on the table.

and for context I’m worried about the fan noise because I’m comparing it to my cheapo inverter that has a fan that is beyond rediculous.

im curious why you consider Victron a full step above Morningstar? Is it the updates, and feature set? I’m surprised there’s not more Morningstar on these forums. I have an older suresine 300w inverter.

when I say tank like build quality it’s not an exageration. No fans (dead quiet) and I think it weighs 11 pounds. It even fell out of a wagon and went for a 300 foot tumble down some pre Cambrian Canadian Shield. I think the rock was damaged.

I’ve watched some Victron YouTube and it almost looks scary (way too much circuitry?). Morningstar just looks simpler and more robust? **not an expert in electronics**

I likely won’t put the inverter in a living space. But sometimes I place a value on something (right or wrong) if I COULD do something. When possible I like to keep all options on the table.

and for context I’m worried about the fan noise because I’m comparing it to my cheapo inverter that has a fan that is beyond rediculous.

im curious why you consider Victron a full step above Morningstar? Is it the updates, and feature set? I’m surprised there’s not more Morningstar on these forums. I have an older suresine 300w inverter.

when I say tank like build quality it’s not an exageration. No fans (dead quiet) and I think it weighs 11 pounds. It even fell out of a wagon and went for a 300 foot tumble down some pre Cambrian Canadian Shield. I think the rock was damaged.

I’ve watched some Victron YouTube and it almost looks scary (way too much circuitry?). Morningstar just looks simpler and more robust? **not an expert in electronics**
Victron is a world-wide top supplier of solar equipment and has been for 50-years. They are engineered in the Netherlands by top staff.
I don't worry about circuitry, way beyond my technical expertise. Their equipment was made for extremely harsh environments (marine), far more harsh than residential environment.
Firmware is updated as needed, including adding features. They have complete A - Z system components and integrated communications and software. Their online portal is really cool. And their warranty response is 100% top rate.
And when it comes to being able to configure their gear...well, it is superb! I don't know of any other company that can touch them.
I owned some morningstar when I first started with solar about 12 years ago, a PWM charger. No complaints, it did its job. Just not in the same league as Victron...IMO.

I just commissioned the ESS for my parents and yesterday while it was charging at max capacity we where shocked about fan noise. I searched for other users input and passed by this discussion on the Victron community’s. It is a long and intestines thread. Click here

at the end of the tread a link is made to a Service bulletin from Victron where they announce a solution for the fan noise. A piece of electronics is available for older MPII, Quattro and easysolar models Free of charge through the distributors. Take a look and check if the MPII are listed in the SB.
https://community.victronenergy.com...pii-retrofit-kit-to-reduce-low-rpm-fan-no.pdf

Been considering the EG4 18Kw unit, or two EG4 6500s, or two Victron 5000s. Never heard any of them and would like opinions.

Well I can update my own thread. No fan noise. None. Hasn’t,come on. There is a humming thought.

Been considering the EG4 18Kw unit, or two EG4 6500s, or two Victron 5000s. Never heard any of them and would like opinions.
This actually has some sounds of both the EG4 6500 and Victron 5kVA.
Here’s what the 18kPV sounds like when it works hard.

I can't speak from personal experience, but of the products you mentioned, complaints about Victron products, sales and service don't crop up much on these forums. To me that says a lot. The others, well you can read hundreds of pages. ?

I was setting up a 2nd Quattro 5kVA and what is interesting is the hum is noticeably quieter than the first one I purchased about a year earlier. The LED lights are also brighter. So now if only the 2nd one was on you would barely be able to tell it is on when standing few feet from it. I don't have Multiplus to compare but in theory Quattro should be quieter under load when fans do need to come on because it has a much deeper box then the Multiplus which also allows it to use larger fans. Larger fans can run slower for same amount of airflow as smaller one. The 18kPV has 4 small fans which are pretty loud at full speed.

Back