diy solar

diy solar

Victron SmartShunt alarm not audible?

@kromc5 What blows me away is how can he have a 576kWh battery. That's 20X bigger than what I'm using, which cost me at least $5000. So the dude has a $100k battery? Really amazing.

And size wise 576kwh is like half my monthly electric usage.

I use about 12kw of panels to charge a 28kwh battery, which kinda is a reasonable ratio. I wouldn't think you could reasonably charge a 576kWh with a 68kw array, I'd think the array would need to be 3X bigger to regularly reach a full state of charge with a monster battery like that.

Are there pictures of his build anywhere?
He's assembling his own batteries, you can generally build a 15kwh battery for around $1500 or less, and he's buying cells in significant qty and doing 16S3P to minimize BMS costs etc. so might be closer to $1000. So maybe $40-60k all in? I believe his goal was several days of backup while consuming 50-80kWh per day or something like that, in crap winter conditions.

Excepted the horribly expensive development board, I know none.
Have you got some references?
WT32-ETH01 would be the cheapest there's lots of companies producing those Ali should have a wide range most fitted with a wroom chip but those are just ethernet.
Poe versions are fairly expensive I use a few lilygo T-internet-POE boards which are well made and only around $15 here but that's still a substantial increase considering most of the dev boards I buy are $2

WT32-ETH01 would be the cheapest there's lots of companies producing those Ali should have a wide range most fitted with a wroom chip but those are just ethernet.
Poe versions are fairly expensive I use a few lilygo T-internet-POE boards which are well made and only around $15 here but that's still a substantial increase considering most of the dev boards I buy are $2
Not only are they expensive, but don't have any USB programming interface and as far as I saw they don't even have insulation magnetic cores.
An absolute NO-GO !

Not only are they expensive, but don't have any USB programming interface and as far as I saw they don't even have insulation magnetic cores.
An absolute NO-GO !
Yes no programmable usb interface but that's easy to overcome a number of ways I generally just use a Uno with the rst and gnd pins bridged. No idea what an insulation magnetic core is but I can tell you mine have worked almost 2 years without issue.

No idea what an insulation magnetic core is but I can tell you mine have worked almost 2 years without issue.
It's a 0.6$ component that insulates the ethernet communication pairs and prevents ground loops.
Ethernet insulation provides a limited insulation to two devices connected over an ethernet cable.
This component is frequently bypassed on cheap Chinese fake interfaces, but here on the ESP board there is not even a place for it.
If you are lucky, you have an insulation on the other side, but if you connect two fakes together you can get the magic smoke or a totally unreliable communication due to sheath current loops.

@kromc5 What blows me away is how can he have a 576kWh battery. That's 20X bigger than what I'm using, which cost me at least $5000. So the dude has a $100k battery? Really amazing.

And size wise 576kwh is like half my monthly electric usage.

I use about 12kw of panels to charge a 28kwh battery, which kinda is a reasonable ratio. I wouldn't think you could reasonably charge a 576kWh with a 68kw array, I'd think the array would need to be 3X bigger to regularly reach a full state of charge with a monster battery like that.

Are there pictures of his build anywhere?
Here are a few pictures of all the banks. There are no issues charging. Last year, before the new panels, it could hit a continuous charge rate of 500+ amps.

It's a long thread from the start and all the changes over the years.

Attachments

• P7200898.JPG
    P7200898.JPG
    244.8 KB · Views: 3
  • P7200897.JPG
    P7200897.JPG
    285.9 KB · Views: 3
  • P7200896.JPG
    P7200896.JPG
    241.5 KB · Views: 4
  • P7200895.JPG
    P7200895.JPG
    300.9 KB · Views: 4
  • P7200894.JPG
    P7200894.JPG
    253.2 KB · Views: 4
  • P7200893.JPG
    P7200893.JPG
    311.1 KB · Views: 4
  • P7200892.JPG
    P7200892.JPG
    388.1 KB · Views: 4
  • P7200899.JPG
    P7200899.JPG
    223.7 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Here are a few pictures of all the banks. There are no issues charging. Last year, before the new panels, it could hit a continuous charge rate of 500+ amps.

It's a long thread from the start and all the changes over the years.
Dayum... what the plan? Kicking PG@E out of business?

You have limitations? 🙀
yeah, I have fathered four that I am aware of, and at this point will be working until I am 67 to get the last two through college. so I think four kids is one of the limitations, even though i wake up with morning wood daily...My wife just rolls over and says put that thing away before you throw out your back or something. Another is the simple fact that being primarily of Irish descent I love a good fight... just not sure I can follow through properly at this point in life. so I guess age sets some limitations as well.

diy solar

diy solar
Back