diy solar

diy solar

Victron Smartsolar MPPT 150/45 or 250/xx - some questions

rilonau

Hi guys,

i have some questions regarding Victron Smartsolar MPPT charger:

1. Can i set the output voltage freely up to PV-input voltage or are there any restrictions to typical battery voltages?

2. When i have 2 Trina Solar modules in series i get Voc = 104V (at 20 deg. C). What about Winter time (-15 deg. possible) - is 150V enough reserve?

3. What is the 'auxiliary load output' ('Lastausgang' in german) - can i use it independently from the battery loading?
I heard there are problems with some microinverters (Hoymiles) where the MPPT is not compatible with the Victron MPPT and causes problems?
Can i separatly adjust the voltage of the 'load output'?

4. Option: 4 modules in series -> 208Voc, would be the 250/xx an option? What is the smallest 'xx' available, lowest current? Current relates to output current (not input), right? For me i think 40A would be enough, but smallest option is 60, right?

Thanks so much!

Cheers Rilo

Regarding #3: Victron mppt outputs DC. The microinverter outputs AC. Not compatible. You can't split the output of a panel to feed more than one mppt (victron or micro).

Regarding #3: Victron mppt outputs DC. The microinverter outputs AC. Not compatible. You can't split the output of a panel to feed more than one mppt (victron or micro).
You got me wrong on this. I meant to connet the victron MPPT Output to the Hoymiles inverter input instead of feeding highvoltage DC directly to the Hoymiles. If you have some modules in series you cant just feed the higher voltage to the Hoymiles - thats why ;)

Thanks so far! This seems to be the problem.

Anyone on the other points, please?

2. When i have 2 Trina Solar modules in series i get Voc = 104V (at 20 deg. C). What about Winter time (-15 deg. possible) - is 150V enough reserve?
104v vs 150v limit is usually more than enough headroom. Typical 0.3% increase for each degree c below 20c. At -40c, that would be 18% increase over 104v, or 123v, well below 150v.

4. Option: 4 modules in series -> 208Voc, would be the 250/xx an option? What is the smallest 'xx' available, lowest current? Current relates to output current (not input), right? For me i think 40A would be enough, but smallest option is 60, right?

Typically, you are looking around 10a per panel. 4 in series is still 10a input. The second number in the model is the amp output. 60 amp output is around 3000 watts. 4 panels is about 1200-1600 watts. 150/45 should work for 2s2p.

250/60-Tr
https://www.victronenergy.com/uploa...-SmartSolar-charge-controller-overview-EN.pdf

If someone is interested in #1:
according to the connect app you can adjust output voltage to nearly every voltage in the range of 9 ...70 V - dependig on the PV-input-voltage of course. The settings also depend on the battery type and voltage: 12, 24, 36 or 48V.

diy solar

diy solar
Back