diy solar

diy solar

Victron system wire size

Haze

Hello all , I’m trying to place my wire order and could Use some help….This Victron schematic is almost exactly what I’m running other than no grid tie and I also have the victron Lynx shunt in front of the Lynx distribution. I’m wondering what wire size I should run from My 450/100 to the Lynx distribution? Also wondering what size wire to run from my Multi plus to the Lynx ? Also what size from batteries? I have just one Trophy 100 Amp-Hours, Approximately 5,120 Watt-Hours Battery. Thanks for the help !

Im running this Inverter -Victron 48V Multiplus-2 – 3kVA 120V Inverter – 35A Charger

This charge controller - Victron SmartSolar Charge Controller – MPPT RS 450V 100A

The whole system is within 10’ of each other.

Attachments

• IMG_8959.png
    IMG_8959.png
    209.1 KB · Views: 47
Each manual should list the appropriate wire for the installation. The Lynx is just a connection device between them. If the manual says 2/0 gauge to the battery, it should be 2/0 to Lynx and 2/0 to battery. If the MPPT says 2awg to battery, then 2awg to Lynx, and you're covered by the 2/0 to battery.

I have been reading the Manuel’s for a few hours now and keep getting more confused. I’ll keep digging in, thanks

So it calls for 70mm2 for both of them, I think ? So 2/0 from battery to Lynx, now to calculate what fuse to use in the Lynx shunt and also wondering if I need a T class fuse before the shunt or will the shunts fuse cover me.

Attachments

• IMG_8965.jpeg
    IMG_8965.jpeg
    434.3 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_8966.png
    IMG_8966.png
    529 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
So it calls for 70mm2 , I think ?
Yes, if your cable distance from the 450/100 to lynx is over 2m. It won't hurt to use the larger cable either. You also need to use a finely stranded cable (maximum 26AWG strands) for the Victron charge controller.

Yes, if your cable distance from the 450/100 to lynx is over 2m. It won't hurt to use the larger cable either. You also need to use a finely stranded cable (maximum 26AWG strands) for the Victron charge controller.
This is what I plan to buy. Appears alright to me ?

Attachments

• IMG_8967.jpeg
    IMG_8967.jpeg
    513.4 KB · Views: 23
Yes, if the insulation is rated for at least 90C as well (according to Page 1 of the manual).
Yes appears it just over that.

Attachments

• IMG_8968.png
    IMG_8968.png
    258 KB · Views: 9
So now I’m to the fuses . I have 2/0 coming off batteries going to a victron on/off switch, then to the Lynx shunt. Should I place a T class fuse right after on/off switch before the wire plugs into the Lynx shunt ? This is confusing because the shunt has a spot also for a CNN fuse.

Back