diy solar

diy solar

Vintage travel trailer system, so far

alfaeric

Just wanted to post that I have completed part 1 of my vintage travel trailer's 12V system.

I had been debating which battery system to use, always leaning toward a LiFePO4- but hesitating based on cost and/or complexity (diy). Once Battery Hook up got their batch of Renogy systems, I got one of the 100 A-hr batteries for $500. I thought it was a great deal and jumped on it.

To monitor it, I got the matching Renogy smart battery monitor- just an RS323-like wire, and done.

Charging was decided a long time ago- as I wanted a handful of 120V circuits and more than a handful of 12V ones- so before the new year, I got a Progressive Dynamics PD4045, where you could choose either lead of LiFePO4 battery for charging- that has an upper charge current of 45A, which is a perfect match for the battery's 50A continuous charge rating.

And for car charging- I just have a 20A Renogy DC-DC charger set up for the battery. The only issue I have not really solved is switching it on- but I figure I can use the running lights signal to say that the car is on.

The 12V system is pretty basic- lights, some USB outlets, a SeeLevel system, fans, and a 12V fridge.

The 120V system is not really any more basic than that- one basic outlet chain (that was original to the trailer), electric stove, microwave, fridge (120V side), and portable A/C. Yea, I know the A/C isn't the most efficient- but it fits. And it does work- as we've used it during the build.

I do have a surge protector that will track my A/C usage- which I plan to track for a while. With that info, I can expand the battery system and add solar so that we can spend a few days off grid at a time. But I figure that will take some hot and cold camping more than anything else- since those will be the big energy users.

I'd post pictures, but it's pretty boring- an AC/DC panel with charger, the dc-dc charger, and the battery on the tongue.

I agree that pictures are appreciated. Didn't happen unless theres a pic!!:)

And the battery monitor, SeeLevel monitor, and breaker box/ fuse box/ 120v to 12v power supply402352AC-FD6C-4687-AA2E-1A96A4C4D65F.jpeg
No idea why the pictures are on their side- I took them upright with my phone.

diy solar

diy solar
Back