diy solar

diy solar

Voltronic Axpert MAX slow switchover from Line/Grid to Solar/Battery and back

pawpro

Hello,

I've just connected 3 Voltronic MAX 8K inverters in 3 phase configuration and planned maximizing self-consumption using 40kWh LFP battery. I need to switch SBU to Utility first and back depending on time of day (tariff) and battery state of charge.

How big was my surprise when I found out that during the switchover at best all lights turn off and back on, some appliances enter a broken state (my coffee machine needing unplugging and plugging back in, AC turning off) to in worse cases (50% of the time) it taking 2-3 sec with no power. So Utility Mode... no output for 3 sec.... SBU. What am I doing wrong? Evey now and then the switching happens in a completely smooth way without me noticing. I think it happens with inverters switching on their own based on internal state and not me switching output priority (I may be wrong).

The big thing is that I was planning to switch few times (not strictly based on 15 min price to reduce wear) a day as dynamic tariffs are about to be introduced in my country in a month.

I have a software engineering background so automating things and integrating them is not a challenge.

Last edited:
I'm watching this with interest as I too have a bunch of 10kW Voltronic Expert Max (branded by&h) sitting waiting for an install and I plan to use them exactly the same as you do (DIY automation included).

If they truly do what you describe (and not, you're are broken) I'll be selling them quick.

The only difference is I don't use parallel configuration, but separate phases.

Have you tried switching between appliance and ups modes yo see if it makes any difference?

It sounds like a pretty bad software bug.

Hi @Luk88
I suppose we are talking about the same 3 phase (not parallel) setup (also PL here).

I think this may have to do with the 3phase setup. Perhaps it depends how quick one can apply setting change to all the inverters. Maybe you need to change all 3 in the same instant for the transition to be seamless. I expect US split-phase to be the same in that regard. Let's see if someone can point out how I am being stupid. Otherwise I'll bypass the Solar Assistant (I have the inverters connected to) and interface with them directly.

diy solar

diy solar
Back