diy solar

diy solar

Waterproof DC Connector

Steve777

Solar Enthusiast
I am looking for a water and weather proof DC connector to allow me to plug in a battery charger to an outdoor DC-Solar well pump system. Something which can handle 10A or so. And would be nice to have the + and - connections all in one polarized connector. This connector would hang off the pump controller box (on a short run of wire, like 6") which is under the pump's PV panels, so somewhat protected from heavy rains but wind driven rain and snow would get to it.

Most of the time, the solar and batteries are sufficient to handle the pumping needs. But as I found out this spring during a couple long stretches of cloudy weather, the solar gain isn't quite enough to keep up in extended cloudy weather. For these circumstances I would like to be able to easily put a 24v charger on the batteries, to charge them and to power the pump. I can do this now, but it requires exposing the battery box, which is buried with about a foot of foam insulation over it. Inconvenient at best in the summer and next to impossible in the winter. My thought is to parallel the battery wires from the pump controller on a short wire and connector outside the controller box. Usually this wire/connector would just hang there, but when I needed to attach a charger, I could just uncover/uncap this connector and plug the charger in. Should be doable in most any sort of weather, unlike now.

My searches online have not turned up any good connector solutions. So I thought someone here might know of a connector which would work for this.

Thanks in Advance.

Thanks. Both look like possible solutions. The Amazon one does not seem to have a cover or the like to seal the connector when it is not plugged into its other half, but if they do then it would be fine. The Anderson ones say they have a cover for when not in use so should be a go.

Thanks again.

diy solar

diy solar
Back