diy solar

diy solar

Way to Connect 2880w 12v Panels at the Same Time?

indianajonze

have 18x160w=2880w 12v panels. trying to figure out how to connect them to a charge controller when most seem to max out at 1000w or so. original plan was to wire them in parallel and connect sets of 3 to some goal zero yetis, but in retrospect that doesn't seem very efficient. what are my options? sorry, very new to this

Options are getting a high wattage mppt controller, wire them in series and feed the batteries.
Or get several controllers and feed each controller to the batteries.

But if I wire them in series, won't I greatly exceed the voltage of even the best charge controllers? They're renogy 160w 12v panels @23 VOC and 7.92 amps (Imp). If I'm using a victron MPPT controller with 2900w max at 24v but 150v PV max, am I not going to have a very serious VOC problem?

EDIT: wait, i may have figured this out. connect 6 panels together in series. 6 x 23voc = 138 volts / 7.92 amps, below the 150 MPPT max. . do this two more times for 3 strings of 6 panels. connect the 3 strings in parallel using a 3:1 branch connector (30a) and connect the resulting 2 combined cables (138v, 23.76a) to the MPPT? Eureka??

Last edited:
or maybe instead of using a branch connector i use a combiner box such as MNPV6. either way, is this sound?

Last edited:

diy solar

diy solar
Back