diy solar

diy solar

Welder obtained.

Short_Shot

Solar Addict
Step one of building my custom cargo trailer conversion obtained.

Actually I bought it for other reasons. As part of my mech E course work we had a hot work class which covered the basics of everything from oxy-acetylene and plasma cutting to brazing and welding with stick, two types of mig (and the various sub-types) and tig.

I really had a good time with tig and have some aluminum projects in mind in the future.

So to that end I ordered a Primeweld TIG 225X AC/DC unit because it has excellent reviews and comes with a nice torch and pedal set. At the risk of sounding like I'm trying to sell them I won't post a link but I contacted them and verified they will honor their 3 year (free shipping!) warranty even through Amazon so placed the order last weekend.

I'm sure there are a ton of people here who have been welding for as long as I've lived who will knock it but the reviews speak for themselves. Oh and the packaging was phenomenal.

My first project will be to obtain a bunch of scrap aluminum and glue it all together until I have a clue, then build a fuel tank for my diesel heater.

Unfortunately the next 8 weeks of my life will be consumed by a calculus 2 course so it may be a while.

received_187994263392529.jpeg
received_378222390360295.jpeg
received_1471281253231348.jpeg

I have that same welder. Great unit. It's the operator that need improvement.
banana.gif

I started using mine in February of this year. Paid classroom time was very helpful in my case since I've never welded before.

I will say that you can't have enough Argon on hand when learning. I'm on my second cylinder already. My gauge indicated that I still had gas, but my welds were absolutely terribly. I burned up my torch consumables and had to replace that. It turned out that my cylinder didn't really have much gas left in it. At least, not enough to weld good.

I will say that you can't have enough Argon on hand when learning. I'm on my second cylinder already. My gauge indicated that I still had gas, but my welds were absolutely terribly. I burned up my torch consumables and had to replace that. It turned out that my cylinder didn't really have much gas left in it. At least, not enough to weld good.
How are you getting along with the included flow meter for the gas? I've heard mixed reviews.

And what size cylinder did you pick up for it?

I started with the OEM flow meter, but added a flow meter that is used at the torch.

In in-person classroom experience was good. It pointed out that I wasn't using enough amps. I was trying to get by with something like 80 when I really needed 125 amps. I'm welding 1/8" aluminum.

I think my bottle is a 60. A little small, but it fits where I store my welding cart. And I don't get a hernia trying to move it around. I did end up buying my cylinder instead of renting/leasing it.

I ain't getting any younger and those bottles are getting heavier!
Oh yeah I didn't mean that as a dig at lifting them.

I just mean they'll fit in my truck lol

They are definitely no joke to move.

The last cylinder exchange I did, I think I used my Nissan Leaf. The first time I used the F-350, but I was getting two cylinders at that time.

They arent that bad. Just need to use leverage and balance. Also , if you mig , use 75/25. Straight Ar sucks .

Yes I know. Certified to unlimited. Just putting it out there to use mix on mig.
Ah.

Well I've got a real thick textbook here that covers it lol.

My instructor actually made us try a mig weld with both to see the difference.

That's a great instructor. Show you In a controlled environment what the wrong sides look lime also
I had a really good time of it.

It was not a welding class by any means but it was designed to give us clueless engineers an idea of what the welders need to deal with when we specify BS processes that don't make sense or are physically impossible to complete.

And above all, to trust the welders when they make a recommendation.

Fortunately in my case I already hold a journeyman card so I'm well aware of how clueless the engineers can be. I just decided to do something about it.

Important update.

Harbor Freight cart baby. Just need that argon and an extra 8 hours per day.

Attachments

• 20210814_124820.jpg
    20210814_124820.jpg
    199.1 KB · Views: 5
HF was out of stock and I was impatient, so I built my own. It seems a bit heretical to build a welding cart of out wood, but the welder wasn't operational yet (no power) and I had plenty of wood on hand to make it happen.

WeldingCart.jpg

HF was out of stock and I was impatient, so I built my own. It seems a bit heretical to build a welding cart of out wood, but the welder wasn't operational yet (no power) and I had plenty of wood on hand to make it happen.

View attachment 60189
That's pretty funny to be honest.

You should stack a bunch of dimes at every joint with wood glue.

Nice new welder!
I’m jealous, frequently dream about a newer welder, not happening, still stuck in the 1970’s here.
lincoln300300 copy.jpg

for you guys starting out, make sure you where your gloves, and cover all exposed skin, I don't know how many times I have had beginners get bad exposure burns on their arms from wearing gloves with a short sleeved shirt. that and getting burned retinas from having an auto shade helmet with the shade set to low... anything with an arc....at least 10 folks...at least 10. even thats too low for a lot of welding.

for you guys starting out, make sure you where your gloves, and cover all exposed skin, I don't know how many times I have had beginners get bad exposure burns on their arms from wearing gloves with a short sleeved shirt. that and getting burned retinas from having an auto shade helmet with the shade set to low... anything with an arc....at least 10 folks...at least 10. even thats too low for a lot of welding.
Agreed.

I've been around it my whole life though, just never really put time into learning the skill. I've got all sorts of ppe for the job from years of being the assistant.

diy solar

diy solar
Back