diy solar

diy solar

What are these cells in the Zendure?

Bryanbr

b1trfpa7tn1ijeffcznu.jpg

There appear to be 192 of these cells to create a 2096 wh battery.

Has anyone seen these (supposedly automotive) cells before?

Do you think they developed their own BMS? You can see the BMS in a screenshot there.

In one of the discussion threads, they revealed the LiFePO4 version (what I'm more interested in) is 44.8v x 32.5ah = 1456wh
Why they used a 14s BMS for the LFP version instead of 12s or 16s I'm not sure.

Also I think the version Hobotech tested is likely the version campaign backers will get. We see delivery times starting in late October, then they are already assembling the first units. No way in hell they have enough time to make last minute physical changes. That means those will have the loud fans unless this is something they can change via software.

Edit: I'm reading the discussions threads on Zendure's previous IndieGoGo campaigns and those do not give me the warm fuzzies. I'm not calling them scammers but it's apparent they are not running a tight ship. I think I'll pass on this and see what Bluetti & Ecoflow has for Black Friday (maybe nothing due to logistics challenges)

Last edited:
Yes, their product fulfillment on their previous indiegogo campaigns seems to be rubbish.

How in the hell can they promise late October and early December fulfillment when they haven't started mass production (just as the CEO said in his latest YouTube video)? Shipping containers are piled up on the CA coast.

At the best, Zendure is an extremely lightly funded Chinese startup with some type of token Silicon Valley presence. Very limited customer service.

I don't see how they could eventually price the LiFePO4 version of the SuperBase Pro at $2000 when it has significantly less power than the Bluetti 200AC Max and 200AC P. Yes, it's lighter, more portable, but that's because of fewer batteries.

I think I'm going to have to wait this one out, and maybe look for Black Friday sales on a Bluetti, but just like you not hopeful of that.

If you go on their YouTube channel, they have already started mass production. This IndieGoGo campaign is more about increasing customer interest instead of funding a new prototype. In the latest QA, the CEO claimed he sent the 3rd revision to Hobotech and they are on they 4th (and final?) revision.

It appears they sent out an even earlier revision to this YouTuber "Tiny Wanderland" back in August. It worked well for two weeks until it failed for unknown reasons. Zendure didn't explain why but the implication is the intake ingested dust or debris that caused a short circuit. Either way, we can see that revision is not ready. It appears Hobotech and this "Tiny Wanderland" are the only real reviewers who put the prototypes thru their paces. Everybody else seems to be thinly veiled marketing.

They'll definitely miss the late October delivery. A early September article I read stated the 65 ship logjam at the port of LA adds a roughly 8.7 day wait to waiting ships. We can assume a ~2 week delay at the beginning of November.

Zendure is definitely smaller than Bluetti & EcoFlow, although they are not tiny. It appears they make some well received power banks, but this is only their 2nd foray into solar generators, and their 1st large/expensive product. The CEO seems both eager and nervous to make this a successful launch.

Keep in mind Bluetti appears to be mere a reseller of solar generators until recently. You can find generic versions of the AC50 and the EB family for sale on Aliexpress. The AC200 & AC300 appears to be Bluetti's first real in-house project (hence the Kickstarter for the original AC200?).

I believe perhaps the final SuperBase Pro 1500 maybe will settle at a permanent "discounted" price of ~$1599? I don't expect it to stay at $1999 with this competition. $999 is very tempting just for the inverter and solar charging capabilities alone. I see using this with my ~900w propane generator to power a heavier load.

I believe Zendure has a solid design and is attempting a successful debut in the solar generator space. The biggest remaining question is long term reliability & customer support. They are a smaller company than Bluetti & EcoFlow, and those in turn are microscopic in comparison to giants like Apple or Google.

I dug thru the discussion threads and I found some more properties of this product:
2096 version has 46.8 nominal voltage = 3.6v x 13s x 45ah configuration?
1456 version has 44.8 nominal voltage = 3.2v x 14s x 32.5ah

The AC inverter/output cannot be enabled while you have the solar DC feeding the AC input.
It appears the AC UPS functionality is expecting AC passthru on the AC input while its active. That means you can only have 600w of solar permanently attached to the XT60 input while operating as a UPS/passthru mode.
Hence the 1800w "AC solar" is only for topping up the battery.

Last edited:
I read comments in their Kickstarter campaign for their SuperBase 500

Ick

Seems like their products are top notch but their treatment of kickstarter/indiegogo campaign contributors is a big fat F

If you go on their YouTube channel, they have already started mass production. This IndieGoGo campaign is more about increasing customer interest instead of funding a new prototype. In the latest QA, the CEO claimed he sent the 3rd revision to Hobotech and they are on they 4th (and final?) revision.

It appears they sent out an even earlier revision to this YouTuber "Tiny Wanderland" back in August. It worked well for two weeks until it failed for unknown reasons. Zendure didn't explain why but the implication is the intake ingested dust or debris that caused a short circuit. Either way, we can see that revision is not ready. It appears Hobotech and this "Tiny Wanderland" are the only real reviewers who put the prototypes thru their paces. Everybody else seems to be thinly veiled marketing.

The "Tiny Wanderland" seemed to be basically abusing the product. He might have been running the 2000 w inverter over spec for extended periods of time and sucking dust into the unit because it was sitting in a sand pit.

I'm not sure why Hobotech doesn't do systematic charge and discharge testing over a period of time (multiple days or weeks) as Will does with his testing.

Hobotech needs to step up to the plate and do more thorough testing on these IndieGogo campaign units.

Are you sure about this?

"The AC inverter/output cannot be enabled while you have the solar DC feeding the AC input."

Isn't just the inverter AC input disabled because the port is taken up by the solar 1800W input? The 6 AC outputs should be enabled regardless of whether the unit is charging from the single DC (solar) or AC (wall) input.

Last edited:
I went thru the thread last night and I saw this comment from 5w back:
Zendure
PROJECT OWNER

➦Joshua Domingo
Hi Joshua Domingo,
Thank you for reaching us. Yes, SuperBase Por can still run while solar charging via the XT60 input port. Note: Cannot run while solar charging via AC input port
There are several more comments but it appears inverter/UPS passthru cannot work at the same time you are doing DC charging on the AC port.

The price is tempting, and I think most backers will receive theirs. However looking at evidence, they aren't proactive on following up with all contributors.

Plus it seems like delays will drag deliveries well into next year.

P.S. - friendly reminder from Indiegogo:
Crowdfunding is not shopping
Your donation is a way to support a project but does not guarantee that you will receive a perk.

You may request a full refund from Indiegogo until the campaign ends on October 16, 2021. Any refunds after this date are the responsibility of the campaign owner, Zendure, at their discretion.

Last edited:
I went thru the thread last night and I saw this comment from 5w back:

There are several more comments but it appears inverter/UPS passthru cannot work at the same time you are doing DC charging on the AC port.

I saw the same here:

"Hi Hung, Thanks for your interest in our product. Yes, SuperBase Pro can be used while it’s being charged by solar panels via XT60 input, which can provide 600W max input power. also, SuperBase Pro can charge an EV with 2000W max output while solar 600W max input."

Only 600 watts of solar input during operation is a major limitation of the Superbase Pro vs the Bluetti AC200 Max. The AC200 Max can do 1400 watts of pass through solar.

I was thinking about using the Superbase Pro to trickle charge my EV, but I need 700 to 1100 watts of solar pass through for that.

I thought AC200 Max is capped at 900w.

If you have an EV and insist on portable solar, I think the EcoFlow Delta Pro (1600w) or the Bluetti AC300 (2400w) are your only options.

1000+ watts in solar panels is not small, so either you have plenty of land, or you have to roof mount it (local regulations apply)

I thought AC200 Max is capped at 900w.

If you have an EV and insist on portable solar, I think the EcoFlow Delta Pro (1600w) or the Bluetti AC300 (2400w) are your only options.

1000+ watts in solar panels is not small, so either you have plenty of land, or you have to roof mount it (local regulations apply)

The AC200 Max accepts an additional 500 watts of solar from another port if you have an adapter.

I believe that I need 900 watts of solar for the Level 1 trickle charging. I want to put like 3 400 watt panels on a low trailer and over panel the 900 watt port. It would be nice to have to option to expand to 1400 watts, maybe via an additional array in my back yard.

The Vanpowers 1500 (same product as the Zendure 1500 I believe) now sells for $599

Why such a price drop?

Back