diy solar

diy solar

What i need

Invisibilianone6288

Hoping to have enough power to fit needs.
While jobsite was near vacant house, I was allowed to utilize grid power, with single line, ( only use from panel, no other user) .
After 42 days, the meter showed that I used 324kwh.
Having limited resources, I would like to put together a simple system.
Can I utilize batteries and a decent pure sinewave invertor, of adequate size, to function for a week, before needing to run a generator and battery charger, to charge it up, for another week?
How many batteries?
Best, adequate invertor?
Charger...?
I have one 80watt zamp portable solar panel.( borrowed)
Battery charger I have is Schumacher 8amp automatic. Model SC 1279.
If I only need to run the generator once a week, it will allow saving $$$$ toward adequate solar panels and charge controller, etc.
I appreciate any thoughts and input.

Thanks in advance

324kWh /42 days is just shy of 8kWh a day...
Divide that by 4 hours of average sunlight in winter, and you get 2000W of solar needed...
I'd get 3000, because you won't get full sun all the time...
For battery, you could get 300Ah of 24V... and power a decent 3kW inverter...

That location presented short term power, for the duration of that particular jobsite.
I have not had grid power for just over 6 years

Not likely able to fit that much solar on an 8x12 roof...lol
I could possibly expand to another 4x8 ft
No, you will need quite a bit of space.
If you use 375W panels, you are looking at a pretty large area for panels.
Solar is hard to produce with in a tiny area.
Are used panels available in your area?

No, you will need quite a bit of space.
If you use 375W panels, you are looking at a pretty large area for panels.
Solar is hard to produce with in a tiny area.
Are used panels available in your area?
I'm not trying to do the solar part, yet.
Just the batteries and invertor, Manually recharge with small generator.
If I can get enough battery effectively, that I only need to run generator close to once a week, the money saved, will go toward panels

A 200 ah 24v battery and a 3kw charger inverter will get you started in the winter. Add another battery come summer.
In the good/better/best world this a better.
$$'s allowing a 48v rack batterey (s) and a 5kw AIO would be future proof.
How is all this going to be moved around?

If you are not running the
Not running the AC during winter
Without the AC running you should be able to run all the rest of that off a 400 watt solar system and 200Ah battery,

ECO-WORTHY 1.6KWH Complete Solar Panel Kit 400W 12V for RV Off Grid: 400W Solar Panels + 40A MPPT Charge Controller + 12V 200Ah Lithium Battery + Upgraded 2000W Power Inverter + Bluetooth Module

On Amazon $1,396.92

If you are not running the

Without the AC running you should be able to run all the rest of that off a 400 watt solar system and 200Ah battery,

ECO-WORTHY 1.6KWH Complete Solar Panel Kit 400W 12V for RV Off Grid: 400W Solar Panels + 40A MPPT Charge Controller + 12V 200Ah Lithium Battery + Upgraded 2000W Power Inverter + Bluetooth Module

On Amazon $1,396.92
Would work, but limited budget and im trying to stay away from things that need an app to operate.
I'm nearly always out in woods, in remote jobsite locations.

Would work, but limited budget and im trying to stay away from things that need an app to operate.
I'm nearly always out in woods, in remote jobsite locations.
In case it isn't clear, you (almost never) need to have cell signal to USE these apps, just be with bluetooth range (<25'). Just download the apps where you have a strong cell signal or wifi. No cell service required either.
Would work, but limited budget
If you know someone with an old phone they no longer use, maybe because it has a battery that won't hold a charge), these are great for monitoring. It can stay with your setup always plugged in or just plugged in when needed. With wifi, you wouldn't even need cell service to download the app(s).

Bluetooth apps are awesome if you have not tried it, its as easy as it gets.

Anybody here with a drawer full of old phones that will offer one? (my brothers grand kids destroy all of mine...).

Last edited:
A 200 ah 24v battery and a 3kw charger inverter will get you started in the winter. Add another battery come summer.
In the good/better/best world this a better.
$$'s allowing a 48v rack batterey (s) and a 5kw AIO would be future proof.
How is all this going to be moved around?
Moved around attached to my watchmans trailer.

Here’s a aio that will charge your batteries with a scc or charger assuming you generator has clean power and also is a 2400 watt inverter

this is us stock also eBay has them for $515 shipping included these are good entry level units for the pricehttps://watts247.com/product/pip-lv2424-msd/

In case it isn't clear, you (almost never) need to have cell signal to USE these apps, just be with bluetooth range (<25'). Just download the apps where you have a strong cell signal or wifi. No cell service required either.

If you know someone with an old phone they no longer use, maybe because it has a battery that won't hold a charge), these are great for monitoring. It can stay with your setup always plugged in or just plugged in when needed. With wifi, you wouldn't even need cell service to download the app(s).

Bluetooth apps are awesome if you have not tried it, its as easy as it gets.

Anybody here with a drawer full of old phones that will offer one? (my brothers grand kids destroy all of mine...).
Funny ,,, "all your brothers grandkids destroy all your old phones"
Sounds like my 47 nephews and nieces, don't ask me to try and count the great nephews/nieces, and the great great ones.. As soon as I think I have all of them counted, there are several more.
Almost an infestation, on this poor planet??

Here’s a aio that will charge your batteries with a scc or charger assuming you generator has clean power and also is a 2400 watt inverter

this is us stock also eBay has them for $515 shipping included these are good entry level units for the pricehttps://watts247.com/product/pip-lv2424-msd/
aio,,?

diy solar

diy solar
Back