diy solar

diy solar

What is a good LBCO to avoid the inverter driving the bank under 2.5v sustained?

hwy17

Anti-Solar Enthusiast
My system currently lacks any means for the Orion BMS to communicate a shutdown request to the Schneider XW+. The Orion can call for 2.2kW grid input when it reaches a set low SOC, but it's possible our load could inadvertently outpace the 2.2kW and keep draining the battery bank.

Long term I have two possible solutions:

- Double the 2.2kW to 4.4kW so that load outpacing the backstop input is ruled out.

- Enable canbus comms between the Orion and the Schneider so that it can communicate a shutdown request.

In the meantime my low battery failure modes are:

1. Inverter observes LBCO by the voltage at it's terminals and shuts itself down (preferable)

2. Orion observes sustained cell <2.5v or pack <40v and opens it's contactors under load (not preferable)

What LBCO voltage would be most likely to achieve result #1 before #2, but with the least likelihood of an early "false alarm" LBCO event?

46v, 44v, 42v, 41v?

First, enable canbus. It's awesome. My Batrium tells my stuff what to do.

It may take some trial and error on your part, but a voltage based cut-off can be impacted by load triggering premature cut-off. HOwever, do you really care if cut-off happens at 5% or 10% or some exact value, or are you okay with, "this battery is close to empty."

I would start with 44V and see how that serves.

First, enable canbus. It's awesome.
It sounds hard though! All I've got is a few crumbs of a lead on some canbus messages that might shutdown the inverter. Definitely not any full support for SOC communication or anything like that.

Thanks I will try 44. I'm fine with the first discovery being an early LBCO rather than a late one and contactors opening.

With my LiFePO4 that doesn’t have inverter comms I set my BMS cell LVD to 3.0V, and my inverter LBCO to 50.0V

This seems very conservative, but I regularly run that system to inverter shutdown and get over 80% of battery capacity, so I see no reason to stretch the cells any further.

Back