diy solar

diy solar

What is the best way to run desktop computer from solar?

Gueyog8a7

I have avoided having to use dc-ac inverters so far but is that too much to ask for a desktop pc?

I have managed to get my laptop and phone to charge direct from my fuse block with a respective voltage regulator for each.

Can something similar be done for a desktop pc too or is it too complicated for a larger machine like that? I had a quick look online and it did look so complex that it seemed to defeat the object or cost of a dc-dc power supply, being so niche, would be too expensive to be worth it.

Just wondering if yall have any suggestions to circumvent having to use an inverter and if it could be feasible to run direct from the dc battery supply?

I just read that PCs run off DC anyway, just at a range of voltages, so would it just be a case of having to make a fused supply for every single powered device on the pc? Seems like it would be a cumbersome task.

Last edited:
would be too expensive to be worth it.
I would think it is do able.
It would be a huge undertaking.
You would need to cannibalize a pc power supply connector.

You would need a 400+ watt 12v supply
You would need a 5v supply
You would need a 3.3v supply

I am not saying these voltages are right. just a general idea.

I would think it is do able.
It would be a huge undertaking.
You would need to cannibalize a pc power supply connector.

You would need a 400+ watt 12v supply
You would need a 5v supply
You would need a 3.3v supply

I am not saying these voltages are right. just a general idea.
Yes the more I read is the less it seems practical especially because I would only want to do it for a 10+ year old pc and only reason for a few games I have on there :). Probably better not to anyway as I want to limit screen time anyway in my new lifestyle and will have plenty to do when I get my land!
Stick to the laptop.
Aye, what I have concluded also.

Yes the more I read is the less it seems practical especially because I would only want to do it for a 10+ year old pc and only reason for a few games I have on there :). Probably better not to anyway as I want to limit screen time anyway in my new lifestyle and will have plenty to do when I get my land!

Aye, what I have concluded also.
The best idea IMO is getting a Victron Phoenix inverter for the computer. Super low idle draw and efficient.

I run my whole office off solar, two computers, 4 monitors, 2 laser printers, a synology NAS and all the other desk stuff, WiFi, VoIP off my Bluetti AC300 with no issues at all. Also, I have my EG4 solar mini-split also plugged into the AC300 for off grid needs for no sun and night. Highly recommend this approach.

Some computers have an external power brick, in which case it’s fairly simple to provide the appropriate power supply.

If you have a regular desktop computer with an AC input cord and a multi conductor ATX power supply feeding several voltages to your motherboard, then you are better off with an inverter.

If your array voltage is high enough, the computer can run right from the array DC. These are just switching power supplies and they don't care. They can even take a wide range of voltages. NOTE: Supply must have a 110/220 switch. And it can be uninterruptable and blended power. As an example, I have a clothes washer that runs off solar panels. Array voltage is fed directly into the HV section of the inverter. It almost always runs totally from panel voltage. Should a cloud pass over the current the panels can supply drops and that drops array voltage. At that point the inverters boost converter operating off a battery will turn on when array voltage drops below power point. Any other time the boost inverter is totally off. Say the washer needs 4A and the panels can only supply 3A. The boost inverter will only supply that 1A to add to the 3A of the panels. Clouds start to move away, that can drop to 0.5A or zero. Clouds worsen it can go up to 2A. It is seamless power which blends both sources. Why do something crazy like using only grid or solar. Blending is the way to go with always using whatever the array can produce.

I have avoided having to use dc-ac inverters so far but is that too much to ask for a desktop pc?

I have managed to get my laptop and phone to charge direct from my fuse block with a respective voltage regulator for each.

Can something similar be done for a desktop pc too or is it too complicated for a larger machine like that? I had a quick look online and it did look so complex that it seemed to defeat the object or cost of a dc-dc power supply, being so niche, would be too expensive to be worth it.

Just wondering if yall have any suggestions to circumvent having to use an inverter and if it could be feasible to run direct from the dc battery supply?

I just read that PCs run off DC anyway, just at a range of voltages, so would it just be a case of having to make a fused supply for every single powered device on the pc? Seems like it would be a cumbersome task.

New type Motherboards use only a 12 volt connection. (ATX12VO)
So long all the power (gpu) go from the main board power.
Than you only need a dc to dc inverter so the volts is and stay 12 volt only.
If you use a gpu than you need a extra dc to dc for that .

The victron Orion xs can do it .
You can switch to power delivering.

12volt x 50a is about 600watt .
Cost about 350 euro with tax.

See the extra foto.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240714-153645.png
    Screenshot_20240714-153645.png
    455.7 KB · Views: 4
  • Screenshot_20240714-163229.png
    Screenshot_20240714-163229.png
    99.3 KB · Views: 0