diy solar

diy solar

Schneider XW Pro aftermarket Control Panel

danderson

So sorry if this has been discussed, possibly someone could link me if it has.

I have installed a complete 12KW Scheider XWPro system for complete offgrid application on my own home. At the time of purchase, I was disappointed that Schneider discontinued their Connext SCP unit, as i wanted a simple panel that I could go to, to investigate/alter my solar system, much like a typical thermostat. I am not overly computer savvy, nor do we own a laptop at this time (we have desktop units), so the Schneider InsightHome unit that I have, though I have it working, is cumbersome to me as it requires me to go to my desktop- thiscan result in a signficant issue- see story below.

SO, has anyone figured a work around? as i said i am not overly CPU savy, but i susepct that i should be able to setup some kind of Ipad or similar "pad" and use it as my controller? I would have to figure how to connect a typical removable USB drive and download the software much like i did for my desktop cpu, but also I would have to figure how i could get the pad to be hardwired for power so I could mount it to the wall and not be worried that it's battery would die. I MUST mount it to the wall as i have a house full of teenagers that would love to sneak the pad away and get into trouble.

Outside of the pad, is there a industry standard control panel that would work ? Fortunately, i found a second-hand hardly used Xantrex 6KW complete system including the old control panel that I will be using and probably enjoying for the 1ph power on my barn workshop.

Funny story: Yesterday we had an issue in our mechanical room where our solar system is installed that caused my son to (smartly) go and trigger the RSD switch- good boy!. It was a very sunny and cool day so to restart I had to do my due-diligence and put the charge controllers into standby and check the incoming voltage etc. So, off to my desktop computer I went. By mistake, I put the whole system into standby mode, rather than just the charge controllers, which immediately shutdown my power supply to everything... including my desktop computer. hmmm.. now what, no power to get the desktop computer to be able to switch the inverters out of standby mode. So after setting up a generator to run my desktop AND router (two long extension cords run through the house), i was able to sort everything out. So, moral of the story is that i need a battery backed-up CPU or control panel.

So sorry if this has been discussed, possibly someone could link me if it has.

I have installed a complete 12KW Scheider XWPro system for complete offgrid application on my own home. At the time of purchase, I was disappointed that Schneider discontinued their Connext SCP unit, as i wanted a simple panel that I could go to, to investigate/alter my solar system, much like a typical thermostat. I am not overly computer savvy, nor do we own a laptop at this time (we have desktop units), so the Schneider InsightHome unit that I have, though I have it working, is cumbersome to me as it requires me to go to my desktop- thiscan result in a signficant issue- see story below.

SO, has anyone figured a work around? as i said i am not overly CPU savy, but i susepct that i should be able to setup some kind of Ipad or similar "pad" and use it as my controller?
That's a good solution. David Paz on YouTube has a video where he does just that.
I would have to figure how to connect a typical removable USB drive and download the software much like i did for my desktop cpu,
Umm, you had to put software on your computer or tablet? That's not how mine worked. The insight local user interface is just a website.
Open your browser (I used Chrome in the image below) and punch in the IP address.
Screenshot_20240220-075328.png

but also I would have to figure how i could get the pad to be hardwired for power
Normal USB wall wart?
so I could mount it to the wall
I think Paz used sticky backed Velcro. Amazon has plenty of options too
and not be worried that it's battery would die. I MUST mount it to the wall as i have a house full of teenagers that would love to sneak the pad away and get into trouble.

Outside of the pad, is there a industry standard control panel that would work ?
Not that I've seen.
Fortunately, i found a second-hand hardly used Xantrex 6KW complete system including the old control panel that I will be using and probably enjoying for the 1ph power on my barn workshop.
If you can connect both to your home network with their own Insights, you could monitor both systems from the same tablet.
Funny story: Yesterday we had an issue in our mechanical room where our solar system is installed that caused my son to (smartly) go and trigger the RSD switch- good boy!. It was a very sunny and cool day so to restart I had to do my due-diligence and put the charge controllers into standby and check the incoming voltage etc. So, off to my desktop computer I went. By mistake, I put the whole system into standby mode, rather than just the charge controllers, which immediately shutdown my power supply to everything... including my desktop computer. hmmm.. now what, no power to get the desktop computer to be able to switch the inverters out of standby mode. So after setting up a generator to run my desktop AND router (two long extension cords run through the house), i was able to sort everything out. So, moral of the story is that i need a battery backed-up CPU or control panel.
I've done the same! Well, not during a power outage, but that standby button is something else. There really should be a warning that you're about to turn off power!

Doesn't the power button on the XW take it out of standby? Or power cycle the DC from the battery.

You could have an ipad, but I'm not sure it's simpler or more reliable than access from a desktop. The ipad could connect directly through the insight's wifi which removes the dependency on the router though.

I think the ipad would better serve the purpose of having an always on power flow display, rather than a reliability purpose.

Back