diy solar

diy solar

Schneider XW Pro DIY Resources

wyosolar

I am in the process of choosing the XW Pro 6848 for an off grid build. Before I pull the trigger I wanted to see what resources you all have found helpful (aside from the owners manual and paperwork they send with the inverter) on wiring and programming up the XW Pro? I have heard negative reviews when it comes to support from Schneider. With this being a DIY build, I don't want to rely solely on Schneider for support while trying to setup the system. Also, which vendors have you all found that offers good support for the XW Pro? It would be good to have a vendor that is knowledgeable and available when I can't get ahold of Schneider. Thank you all.

I am in the process of choosing the XW Pro 6848 for an off grid build. Before I pull the trigger I wanted to see what resources you all have found helpful (aside from the owners manual and paperwork they send with the inverter) on wiring and programming up the XW Pro? I have heard negative reviews when it comes to support from Schneider. With this being a DIY build, I don't want to rely solely on Schneider for support while trying to setup the system. Also, which vendors have you all found that offers good support for the XW Pro? It would be good to have a vendor that is knowledgeable and available when I can't get ahold of Schneider. Thank you all.

I installed the xw pro and it runs GREAT in off grid mode. Most of the problems with the xw pro is in grid intertie as shown in several threads on this site. And that is due to missing features of it firmware

see

in reading their stories I have seen their frustration at times with support.

their issues are tied to the grid interface operations

my own story is I started with Scheinder Conext line back in 2016 with the 60 amp charge controllers, then in november 2022 I got the xw pro.
I have grid at my house, but I use the system in off grid operation. I do not do net metering. my grid breaker is off 99% of the time. I do use a chargeverter (just used it last night due to the past cloudy days) to recharge the battery when low and NOT the built in charger. I ONLY use the inverter as an inverter and not as a charger

I have no issues with the system and have not had to contact Scheinder for any problems. I have kept the firmwares up todate

my build thread documentation link is shown in my signature

with that said, if I were to install my system today I would go with the EG4 18kPV system due to its much cheaper cost, and scalability. Since it has come out some 10 months ago, very little issues have been shown.

the multi component architecture of the XW Pro is from the design of the system, with each component being fairly expensive. But remember this system's design stems of 15+ years ago. New tech has resulted in some good systems and compact units. The ease of multiple units and scalability is awesome over the XW Pro

I do love my system and the XW Pro is rock solid. In fact, I am preparing for my second unit by saving pennies. Do this is due to my already expended costs/funds I have put into the system I have.

just my 2 bits. I believe you will have a good system if you continue with your plans for off grid (do look at using a chargeverter for generator charging) using the XW Pro. It will just be more expensive due to the individual components nature of the architecture

EX: to get 13.6kw of inverter power, I need 2 inverters ($3500 each) + plus MPPT charge controllers (100amp $1200) + insightlocal ($450) + breakers, etc

1 18kPV is $5200 and has all of the above features

Last edited:
I had never worked w/ Schneider equipment prior to my home solar project.
I had done some small solar projects:
- solar panel & controller to charge the RV coach batteries
- solar panels & controller to keep the battery charged in the lawnmower and house generator.

Wanted a simple "appliance" that produced electricity w/ no issues or constant "why did it do that today?"

Anyway, I carefully followed the very excellent instructions in the manuals.
That got my system working 95%
(The manuals seem to be written for an audience that are trained techs, not DIY novices like me.)

The level of Schneider tech support that I have access to did not know much more than I did from reading the manuals.

This forum!!
There are people here that helped me with the remaining 5%, system is now operating perfectly.
I do not have to touch it, except to water the batteries every 4 months or so.
(I use old FLA battery technology)

(The manuals seem to be written for an audience that are trained techs, not DIY novices like me.)

THAT is Schneider's deployment model which was implemented years ago - train the installers and support them. The DIY world kinda of broke their model with people like me and others here buying their stuff. I believe they have opened up a bit from a few years ago

I'd get it from anywhere but Signature Solar, AltE or something like that.

I got my 1st XW Pro from SS and had no issues,
Well thankfully it was a Schneider not Chinesium branded junker. But why risk it? Get it from somewhere that doesn't have dozens of support nightmare threads.

Thank you all for your comments. Any other good vendors or publications to help ease the install?

Aren't there a bunch of spicy threads about the XW? From true believers, mind you, but this is far from the Apple or (old school) IBM of inverters.

Based on those I'm not convinced there are many super qualified dealers given the config and behavior complexity for some use cases

To add to the resource pool if anyone searching comes across this in the future, but I doubt it will help be needed by the OP.

Aren't there a bunch of spicy threads about the XW? From true believers, mind you, but this is far from the Apple or (old school) IBM of inverters.

Based on those I'm not convinced there are many super qualified dealers given the config and behavior complexity for some use cases
Nearly every complaint thread about the XW is either grid tie or operator error. This install isn't grid tie and the OP is here asking questions, so they can likely avoid some operator error.

1 18kPV is $5200 and has all of the above features
Well, if you're being fair, it doesn't have quite the same surge capacity as a pair of 6848 units.

Nearly every complaint thread about the XW is either grid tie or operator error. This install isn't grid tie and the OP is here asking questions, so they can likely avoid some operator error.
He didn't mention if he intends to AC couple--I've read lots of issues with that, too. About to embark on my own adventure with AC coupling. Hopefully my experience is smoother than others have had. By the way, thanks for your input in that other thread about the EPC! I figured out that there were other settings overriding it, including grid code and grid support voltage, among others. Anyway, it's still a work in progress, but I've managed to get Home Assistant talking to the Insight, and automated the charge/discharge power. Will post details to the modbus thread at some point in the future.

1707452014360.png

Off grid XW pro install here with 3 600v/100a MPPTs. All purchased from SS.

Inverter has been flawless aside from a few resets from Lifepower4 battery communication interruptions.

I charge my EV and also run my electric oven with it and I've had no problems. It takes whatever you throw at it. I almost got the mini PDP but opted for the full size PDP.

What batteries are you considering?

Back