diy solar

diy solar

Schneider XW PRO vs SolArk 12K

kram

Newbie here researching on the XW Pro and SolArk. I need something to handle variable TOU rates. No solar, no backup needed.

I was almost convinced I should go for the Schneider, when reading other threads on this forum, I learnt that the XW Pro will not charge batteries without hitting the low SOC limit on the batteries.

Here are my requirements:
1) 6 AM to 3 PM, Demand charges for every kw.
a) XP Pro allows using WattNode to monitor usage and cap at a specified limit

2) 3PM to 7PM, higher rates, about 35c per kwh
a) both allow TOU settings.

3) 7PM to 10 PM, Demand charges again.
4) 10 PM to 6 AM, super low rates, need to recharge batteries to 100%
3) Sensitive to noise, my panel in the basement directly below bedrooms. Recharge will happen at night when rates are low.

Other inverters I considered is Victron and EP Cube.

Newbie here researching on the XW Pro and SolArk. I need something to handle variable TOU rates. No solar, no backup needed.
Since you will have batteries for load shifting, you'll get back-up as a bonus.
I was almost convinced I should go for the Schneider, when reading other threads on this forum, I learnt that the XW Pro will not charge batteries without hitting the low SOC limit on the batteries.
True, but recent discussions regarding integrating Node Red with the InsightHome or Facility works well and could easily trigger a bulk charge cycle anytime you need to. Like 10pm. In fact, I was just reading through bookmarked posts from @n2aws a couple of hours ago.
Here are my requirements:
1) 6 AM to 3 PM, Demand charges for every kw.
a) XP Pro allows using WattNode to monitor usage and cap at a specified limit
Wattnode is to control sell back from excess DC coupled PV. You specified no solar so you would only be using the Peak Load Shave function and shouldn't need Wattnode.
2) 3PM to 7PM, higher rates, about 35c per kwh
a) both allow TOU settings.

3) 7PM to 10 PM, Demand charges again.
4) 10 PM to 6 AM, super low rates, need to recharge batteries to 100%
3) Sensitive to noise, my panel in the basement directly below bedrooms. Recharge will happen at night when rates are low.
Seems like you would size your batteries provide a majority of your needs from 6am to 10pm. Going to be an expensive battery bank? What is you daily avg usage during that time.

Since you will have batteries for load shifting, you'll get back-up as a bonus.

True, but recent discussions regarding integrating Node Red with the InsightHome or Facility works well and could easily trigger a bulk charge cycle anytime you need to. Like 10pm. In fact, I was just reading through bookmarked posts from @n2aws a couple of hours ago.

Wattnode is to control sell back from excess DC coupled PV. You specified no solar so you would only be using the Peak Load Shave function and shouldn't need Wattnode.

Seems like you would size your batteries provide a majority of your needs from 6am to 10pm. Going to be an expensive battery bank? What is you daily avg usage during that time.
Daily average during summer is between 25kWh and 50 kWh. I charge my EV which skews these numbers, usually at night.

During demand charges, highest hour is calculated and charged as such. I need to keep that to less than 1kWh and anything above will be covered by the inverter.

The watt node should allow the XW to cover loads in the main panel. I haven't tried it, but that's one of the features.

I'm using a Raspberry Pi (using Node-Red) to start a charge cycle.
If your comfortable with Linux and are willing to put together the controller, you can command the XW to do just about anything you want. You could even do the math and have it recharge at precisely the speed to get the battery full at about 5:30
Or if the bank is to discharged, you could have it charge slowly in the demand charge (oops, I re-read the post) partial peak afternoon areas, then full tilt for the off peak time.

Peak load shave is designed for the demand charge slots. Or you could just let it cover 100% of your loads for those time slots.

Here's the Node-Red thread:

The watt node should allow the XW to cover loads in the main panel. I haven't tried it, but that's one of the features.

The wattnode would allow sellback to the main panel. Depending on. your settings, you could set it so it always draws a little from the grid. or always pushes a little to the grid, or try to set it as close to "grid zero" or "zero sell" as you want.

I don't currently have a NEM agreement, so I generally keep mine set to always pull 600w from the grid. This drastically reduces how much accidentally "leaks" to the utility in the fe milliseconds between a large load shutting off, and the inverter responding and cutting output.

if I had a NEM agreement, I'd set it for "0" until the batteries were fully charged, and then sell excess to the grid.

But yeah, I use the wattnode to sell back to the main panel and it works well.

Back