diy solar

diy solar

Schneider XW PRO 6k questions

was thinking..how would this fix it? If both turn on at the same time, the relay would put some random delay on both circuits, which would work. But there is a chance that if they turn on at different times, then the timer relay would sync them to start at same time..

unit 1 : t0 + 5 sec = t2
unit 2: t1 + 7 sec = t2

am I off?
That's not quite what I had intended. You'd use one normal relay and one timer relay to open the cool request line for B (if B isn't already running) while A starts. That way, B can't start while A in starting. Edit: use a timer relay here so that B will only be blocked out for something like 20-60 seconds, or whatever your testing determines is needed)

You need a standard relay to open the command from A to the relay if B is already running. Otherwise, every time AC unit A started, it would cut out B for 20 seconds or whatever your timer is set to.

Last edited:
That's not quite what I had intended. You'd use one normal relay and one timer relay to open the cool request line for B (if B isn't already running) while A starts. That way, B can't start while A in starting. Edit: use a timer relay here so that B will only be blocked out for something like 20-60 seconds, or whatever your testing determines is needed)

You need a standard relay to open the command from A to the relay if B is already running. Otherwise, every time AC unit A started, it would cut out B for 20 seconds or whatever your timer is set to.
?...thank you

Q: I just ordered a mini PDP. Once I have my xw pro inverter, I will have my victron 3k free. Can I connect it to the PDP on the DC side and use the same battery bank? Any other way to connect my victron and make it useful?

Q: I just ordered a mini PDP. Once I have my xw pro inverter, I will have my victron 3k free. Can I connect it to the PDP on the DC side and use the same battery bank? Any other way to connect my victron and make it useful?
Sure, and you can put another DC breaker into the Mini-PDP for your Victron. The breakers that fit are available in 60, 80, 100, and 125A

Hello

Questions:

- The mini pdp has a 250A DC breaker. What awg wire do I need to connect to batteries? (<10ft)

- The wiring diagram does not show a ground wire to the sub-panel. Is this correct?

Thank you

Hello

Questions:

- The mini pdp has a 250A DC breaker. What awg wire do I need to connect to batteries? (<10ft)
The manuals call for 4/0
- The wiring diagram does not show a ground wire to the sub-panel. Is this correct?
Any subpanel needs a ground. Depending on your set up, it doesn't necessarily need to run through the XW

I’ve got the older XW6848 NA, mini PDP, and 80-600 charge controller, with 3 Discover AES 7.4 KW batteries.

This all runs closed loop. Easy peasy.

Using 4/0 cable from batts to mini pdp.

I run two mini splits in cooling mode at the same time with no issues.

Mitsubishi H2i. One 6k and one 15k unit. I plan to add a second 15k unit.

Schneider gear with Discover AES batteries. ?

Thank you.

Would a welding wire like the below work also? What connector size/type would I need on the PDP side?

Also do you all have a DC grounding wire between the pdp and the battery bank? The doc says 'If a grounded DC wire is required .." "..and dependent on system configuration". I currently don't have this.

Last edited:
Thank you.

Would a welding wire like the below work also? What connector size/type would I need on the PDP side?
For fine stranded cable you'll need to crimp a lug and bolt the cable or use a ferrule. The Mini PDP supports either.
The welding cable will work fine, but wouldn't pass inspection here, I'm not sure if that's relevant.

Also do you all have a DC grounding wire between the pdp and the battery bank? The doc says 'If a grounded DC wire is required .." "..and dependent on system configuration". I currently don't have this.
Obviously, you need battery positive and negative. Not sure if there's some confusion there between ground and DC negative.

For grounding the DC system, I'm pretty sure this is a code thing, not functional. I think it was a code a while back or in some areas to connect battery negative to the AC ground.

For fine stranded cable you'll need to crimp a lug and bolt the cable or use a ferrule. The Mini PDP supports either.
The welding cable will work fine, but wouldn't pass inspection here, I'm not sure if that's relevant.

Obviously, you need battery positive and negative. Not sure if there's some confusion there between ground and DC negative.

For grounding the DC system, I'm pretty sure this is a code thing, not functional. I think it was a code a while back or in some areas to connect battery negative to the AC ground.
A little confused on how to connect. Assuming I am connecting it to#2 in the attached pic. Ferrule will work. How would a crimped lug work?

What would I choose here?

Attachments

• PXL_20231029_185618546~2.jpg
    PXL_20231029_185618546~2.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 7
A little confused on how to connect. Assuming I am connecting it to#2 in the attached pic. Ferrule will work. How would a crimped lug work?
The Mini PDP comes with bolts for those two threaded holes at the bottom. Don't connect anything at #1
From memory those bolts are either 3/8" or 5/16"

Those two statements seem to contradict each other.
DC Neg is not connected to the EGC, but the EGC is connected to all metal equipment housings

here is my PDP

20230923_124913-jpg.169070

ground (green) mounted on the back of the box

while NEG has its own connection buss isolated from the ground. Same pattern throughout the system

CORRECTION: Ok, my bad for not fully disclosing. there is ONE point of contact between Ground and DC: At the Ground Fault Fuse

located in the MPPT of Array 1. All the other 3 fuses were removed from the other 3 MPPTs

Ground Fault appears when a ground fault causes the
ground fault protection (GFP) fuse to blow. The Ground
Fault message clears after system power is removed, the
ground fault is corrected, the GFP fuse is replaced, and
system power is restored. See Chapter 5,
“Troubleshooting”.

Page 4-12 of the MPPT 60 150 Owners Manual

the following pic shows where I labeled the MPPT which has the fuse

20230727_165415-jpg.159695

here is a pic of the lower compartment of the MPPT

20221112_232049-jpg.120003

behind the PCB on the lower left is where the fuse holder is

Last edited:
The Mini PDP comes with bolts for those two threaded holes at the bottom. Don't connect anything at #1

From memory those bolts are either 3/8" or 5/16"
ah..got it. I have the bolts and looks like it is 3/8th.

Thank you.

OP. Make sure that the wire you choose is UL Listed. That will help if you need to pass inspection or deal with an insurance company after a fire.

Both PolarWire and ceautoelectricsupply.com offer much finer stranded cable than welding cable.

PolarWire is premium, ceautoelectric is super premium.

Whichever cable you choose make sure to buy the crimp lugs from the same source. As a for instance, ceautoelectric cable has a greater OD than other cables and requires lugs with a larger ID. Ceautoelectric sells both cable and lugs. Same deal with PolarWire.

FYI. NAZ sells premade cables using PolarWire.

FYI2. Schneider uses PolarWire in their pdp and inverter connections.

Don’t cheap out on something that is being connected to your home or RV. Your assets and your life are worth it?

OP. Make sure that the wire you choose is UL Listed. That will help if you need to pass inspection or deal with an insurance company after a fire.

Both PolarWire and ceautoelectricsupply.com offer much finer stranded cable than welding cable.

PolarWire is premium, ceautoelectric is super premium.

Whichever cable you choose make sure to buy the crimp lugs from the same source. As a for instance, ceautoelectric cable has a greater OD than other cables and requires lugs with a larger ID. Ceautoelectric sells both cable and lugs. Same deal with PolarWire.

FYI. NAZ sells premade cables using PolarWire.

FYI2. Schneider uses PolarWire in their pdp and inverter connections.

Don’t cheap out on something that is being connected to your home or RV. Your assets and your life are worth it?
thinking one of these should work:

1) https://www.batterycablesusa.com/0000-gauge-awg-ul-battery-cable-with-ends
This cable carries multiple ratings in one wire:
  • UL MTW Machine Tool Wire
  • UL1426 BC5-W2 Boat Cable ABYC and USCG Approved for use on boats
  • 105C DRY 75C WET Temp Rating
  • UL THW Building Wire Meeting NEC Code for building wire
  • UL AWM Styles 1232/1284/1338/10070 Rated 600V
  • UL AWM Style 10269 Rated 1000V
  • UL VW-1 Flame Rating
  • RoHS Compliant
  • SAE J1127 SGT Automotive Battery Cable
  • PVC Jacket is Very Resistant to Oil, Water, Acid, Gas, Tears and Abrasions
  • The Jacket Insulation Meets UL VW1 Flame Resistance Rating
  • Annealed Pure Electrolytic Copper with Class K (Type III) Rope Lay for flexibility
  • FULL AWG Copper Content
  • MADE IN THE USA

2) https://nassaunationalcable.com/products/4-0-sgt-105c?variant=42476275826842
This one does not have any lugs though

hi,

I have been running with Victron Multiplus II 3k/48v unit my small offgrid system for the last 6 months. No issues other than some flickering of lights when the refrigerator kicks off (i have a TV, Refrigerator, a 24x7 computer and some led lights running on it). I have 2 x EG4 LP4 batteries.

Now I want to upgrade so I can run a 4 Ton AC unit on it. So this is the plan:

- Soft Start to lower in-rush current
- Schneider XW pro x 1
- Insight home

Questions:
1) Do I really need a Schneider PDP(mini) if I have only have 1 inverter? I don't have solar. Would like to minimize costs
2) I use TOU settings on Victron to start charging my batteries at 8 pm (free power after 8pm) and start discharging at 6 a.m. Is similar setting supported on XW?
3) I see some load tests on XW and looks like it can even handle LRAs of 100A. Do I need a soft start?
-
-
4) Looks like EG4 LP4 batteries are supported for SOC readings. Right?

thank you
LP4 work well with Schneider and the insight module

OP. A brief study of wire specs from:

- ceautoelectricsupply
- polarwire
- Battery Cables USA
- Nassau National Cable

4/0 cable
ceautoelectricsupply
  • 4/0 AWG, 59/64″/0.92” OD, 9,576 strands
PolarWire
  • 4/0 2109 strands 0.71” OD
BatteryCablesUSA
  • 4/0 2109 strands 0.735” OD
Nassau National Cable
  • 4/0 201/19/.010 strands. I think they mean 2019 strands…call them to confirm.
  • 0.711 OD

The wire from ceautoelectricsupply has significantly more strands than the others, as well as a larger OD.

The other three seem similar. Check the insulation type on them to compare to PolarWire.

I’ve used ceautoelectricsupply and PolarWire and can vouch for their quality. Both are very flexible. The ceautoelectricsupply wire is super premium.

Hope this helps.

Back