diy solar

diy solar

What is the difference between LiFePO4 and lead acid battery?

ANT415

Compared with lead acid battery, what exactly is the difference between LiFePO4?

Obviously the chemical composition of the cells is different. You are most likely asking about how they differ as far as usage and electrical properties.
1) LFP has a much higher energy density per unit of weight and volume both. Meaning you can store more kWh in a smaller space with less weight.
2) LFP generally can be charged and discharged at higher C rates.
3) LFP cells are 3.2V nominal vs. 2.0V.
4) LFP cells when connected together in series to make a 12.8V, 25.6V or 51.2V battery need a Battery Management device to monitor each cell and keep them balanced and also disconnect the battery if any of the cells reaches a critical low or high voltage.
5) LFP batteries have a limited operating temperature range of 0 to 40C.
6) LFP batteries can tolerate depth of discharge of 80 to 90% over 2000 to 6000 cycles, although they do loose capacity as they age.
7) LFP batteries have lower internal resistance so can deliver more current with less voltage drop compared to LA.
8) LFP batteries initial cost is higer per kWh than LA but they have a longer service life.

Some practical differences:

Being much lighter in weight for a given capacity, that can help your fuel mileage. (seeing your avatar)

And, if you are getting older, humping heavy lead into and out of your RV is no longer a two-man process. :)

If you are running a generator just to keep your lead-acid healthy with top-ups and things like equalization, there is no need to do that here. Saves fuel again since you don't need to charge LifePO4 to full. No sulfation.

An old strategy concerning cycle-life vs cost of "I'll just swap out my lead-acid a few times instead!" , only works if you are a skilled lead-acid technician who is really on top of it. Most aren't, and actually costs more in the long run.

Lead Acid batteries can be useful for starting motors. My LiFePO4 bank is limited by the BMS to 100A, but I have a bank of 4 Walmart Group 26 lead acid starting batteries, with no BMS that can put out a quick burst of maybe 1000A.

In a cold climate, lead acid can also be an advantage. They will charge and discharge reliably below 0° C.

Last edited:
Lead Acid batteries can be useful for starting motors. My LiFePO4 bank is limited by the BMS to 100A, but I have a bank of 4 Walmart Group 26 lead acid starting batteries, with no BMS that can put out a quick burst of maybe 1000A.

In a cold climate, lead acid can also be an advantage. They will charge and discharge reliably below 0° C.
the inrush/peak is due to you BMS, not the cells themselves :)

diy solar

diy solar
Back