diy solar

diy solar

Battery C rate

Nimrod5

I'm trying to figure out what type of battery for the off grid solar system. As I understand it the C rate is a measure of how fast a battery can accept a charge and how fast it can discharge? LiFePO4 batteries have a C rate of 1 while lead acid have a significantly lower rating. Does this mean that a LiFePO4 battery can power up a bigger wattage inverter? If so, combined with being able to almost completely discharge a Li batter vs halfway with a lead acid, it seems the Li has a huge advantage over lead acid.

LiFePO4 batteries will be limited by their BMS for charge/discharge rate.

The reason to choose them over LA in a PV setup is several. Longer cycle life and no hydrogen out gassing/or acid to deal with is a big plus in my book.

Also, when buying cheap small ready made LFP batteries watch out for a high internal DC resistance scam which means you'll get 30% of the capacity at 1C discharge on a lucky day. Usually buying a reputable brand is what's needed to avoid it. Or making sure you can return it for free no questions asked and trying few. Trying to explain what is it you don't like in a battery that drops 3V at 0.5C is not easy to a clueless customer service person.

Still, I can't think of a reason one would choose lead today over LFP, unless said lead is also used to cranking a starter motor. Or is required to provide lots of current for a very brief time and is not used a lot therafter.

Back