diy solar

diy solar

What is wrong with just attaching panels to pallets on the ground?

mawhelchel99

I have 40 220w panels coming in and I wanted to know whether I could just secure them on the ground in the sunniest location essentially flat. I could angle them a bit with 4x4's. Appreciate comments.

I have 40 220w panels coming in and I wanted to know whether I could just secure them on the ground in the sunniest location essentially flat. I could angle them a bit with 4x4's. Appreciate comments.
my only issue would be that they are spaced off the ground to protect against things nesting in there and added corrosion from moisture (and a lack of drying) and weeds causing shading
Its possible you may need to do some service with 40 panels in that array and so you'll just want to make sure you can access the junction box in case (rare) you need to replace a diode

Depends:
  • Are you located near the equator?
  • What about weeds? How are you going to mow the lawn/weeds without running over the wires?

my only issue would be that they are spaced off the ground to protect against things nesting in there and added corrosion from moisture (and a lack of drying) and weeds causing shading
Its possible you may need to do some service with 40 panels in that array and so you'll just want to make sure you can access the junction box in case (rare) you need to replace a diode
They would be on wood pallets off the ground and angled a bit with 4x4's, I am assuming that I will need to secure the pallets to the ground with possible wind issues. My issue is ... why are most panels not almost flat ... am I missing something.

why are most panels not almost flat
You want the panels to point as directly into the sun as you can. Flat mounted panels are less efficient the farther away from the equator that you are. Of course the ideal angle changes during the year since the sun is higher in the sky on the summer solstice and lower on the winter solstice.

They would be on wood pallets off the ground and angled a bit with 4x4's, I am assuming that I will need to secure the pallets to the ground with possible wind issues. My issue is ... why are most panels not almost flat ... am I missing something.
Maximum power is produced when the sun is at right angles to the panels. So flat panels would only be good near the equator, which you're not.
Some people adjust the angle of their panels seasonally, as the sun gets higher and lower, for this reason.
If you can't be bothered doing that then just tilt them the number of degrees equal to your latitude. I don't happen to know what that is but you can look it up.

Maximum power is produced when the sun is at right angles to the panels. So flat panels would only be good near the equator, which you're not.
Some people adjust the angle of their panels seasonally, as the sun gets higher and lower, for this reason.
If you can't be bothered doing that then just tilt them the number of degrees equal to your latitude. I don't happen to know what that is but you can look it up.
So, building up the angle with wood would be good depending on the season ... thanks

Should work fine as long as your neighbors don't call the Homeowners Association.
Cows are dumb and might step on them.
Wind could be a problem so drive some rebar in at an angle to hold the pallets down.
Get some extra pallets, cut them up to make your angle supports.
Dogs might pee on them so leave a little wire with a couple amps running through it. They will learn quickly. ;)
Rodents may find your wires attractive so maybe you want to use conduit or loom.

Have you ever played with a magnifying glass? Getting it pointed directly at the sun results in the best focal point. Solar panels are the same.

Should work fine as long as your neighbors don't call the Homeowners Association.
Cows are dumb and might step on them.
Wind could be a problem so drive some rebar in at an angle to hold the pallets down.
Get some extra pallets, cut them up to make your angle supports.
Dogs might pee on them so leave a little wire with a couple amps running through it. They will learn quickly. ;)
Rodents may find your wires attractive so maybe you want to use conduit or loom.

Have you ever played with a magnifying glass? Getting it pointed directly at the sun results in the best focal point. Solar panels are the same.
Good idea, we are lucky to have 12 ac ... water front with no neighbors and in a gated location. Only issue would be dogs and rodents. Thanks.

why are most panels not almost flat ... am I missing something.
most are not flat because the roof isn't flat, some are flat a number of issues in no particular order:

https://footprinthero.com/solar-panel-tilt-angle-calculator

For my location approximate numbers:
Winter 44 degrees
Summer 15 degrees
Optimal year round: 30 degrees

Mine are set at approximately 30 degrees. I just eye-balled it. Didn't use a protractor or anything like that. It also helps to get the east-west orientation set, but I just eye-balled that as well.

That's quite a few panels that would need adjusting for change of season. I only have 4 panels and don't like messing with them. How big of a battery bank are you feeding?

Last edited:
I have mine on pallets. I angled each panel using brick paver. I tied down the panels with a bungee cord that can withstand 160 lbs weight. Panels and pallets never budged even when there's a storm & strong wind. I will remove and bring the panels and pallets in the garage if ever there's a forecast of hurricane. I don't worry about code because the pallets are not permanently affixed to the ground. It's just sitting on top of brick pavers. Grass is not a problem either as I am able to mow around the pallets. I spray weed killer under the pallets so grass don't grow under. I don't know what's the ideal angle in my location. I just angled the panels just enough so that rain does not collect on top.

Last edited:
Looks like it will work good and last a long time.

What is holding the panel down to the pallet? Where I am if it's not nailed down TWICE it will blow away.

I attach directly to the pallet using an "L" bracket, then I prop up the pallet to the desired angle.

I learned through experience that if you put one row of solar panels to close to the next row then the first row will shade the next row of solar panels in the winter which basically kills the power. I ended up having to move the panels

Looks great ... unfortunately getting pallets where I am just don't seem to be available for 40 panels ... so I am going to use plywood with 2x4s on the bottom and bricks or 2x4's on the top to get the right angle. Seems I can adjust them in winter to a different angle. Total cost under $1k.
Mounting panels directly on plywood may trap some heat behind the panels. Hot panels produce less than cooler panels.

Flat mounting on plywood will also create an issue with wires.

Last edited:
Back