diy solar

diy solar

Which solar controller for off-grid system?

Awsmits

Hi, I’m designing an off-grid system, planning on three 450W panels (but may expand to 6 eventually), 12V LFP batteries (three in series, but could buy 1 more and go to 24V). The batteries will have BMS protection from under/overcharging. What solar controller do you you recommend? Is series or parallel panel connection better?

You mean 12v batteries in Parallel, right? Series would be 36v and that's a real oddball. With that much panel it sounds like you're going for a pretty hefty system so you should probably shoot for 24v right out the gate.

Lets do some rough math for the differences in charge controllers and panels:
3x 450w panels = 1350w
6x 450w panels = 2700w

1350w / 12v nominal = 112.5 amps
2700w / 12v nominal = 215 amps
1350w / 24v nominal = 56 amps
2700w / 24v nominal = 112 amps

So, right out the gate bare minimum you're going to need 2 SCC's in the 60a range to handle the 3 panels, and 4 SCC's to handle all 6. Even stepping everything up to a 24v system will require 1 or 2 60a SCC's for 3 or 6 panels respectively.

Did you do power audit first to find out what your power consumption each day will be, and what kind of loads you will be using?

Yes, parallel, of course, my bad. Yeah, 36V would be odd. I agree, going to four batteries (24V) would give me more flexibility with solar components, so I think that’s the new plan. And yes, I did the power audit, using this for a bare minimum residential backup system, I think I need about 3,600W per day, but there’s always that desire to expand the system down the road, so I’d like to buy components that will handle 6 panels eventually.

Sounds like a combination of going to a 24v system and a pair of 60a MPPT's in parallel, 1 for each string, would be the optimal setup. That's assuming the VoC of the panels and fudge factor allow you to do a 3s string. Worst case you're going to have to do 2s strings to their own MPPT but that's going to depend on the VoC of the panels.

The VoC and ISC of the panels are about 49.3V and 11.4A. Could I run 3 panels in parallel to keep the voltage low, and the amps would be low enough for the 60A MPPT controller? Second string of three panels in parallel to a second 60A controller?

The VoC and ISC of the panels are about 49.3V and 11.4A. Could I run 3 panels in parallel to keep the voltage low, and the amps would be low enough for the 60A MPPT controller? Second string of three panels in parallel to a second 60A controller?

Yup, that would be the way to go. Make sure your SCC can take 150v of PV input and you should be fine for a 24v system.

Back