diy solar

diy solar

Will this buck converter work for direct solar battery charger?

Porkpie

Hi folks,
In my pursuit of an emergency USB charger I cooked my last purchase while trying to solder on some capacitors onto a solar charge controller. ?

So, back again, this time looking at buck converters.
Can I connect this doohickey directly to my 18V panel without worry? The detailed write-up says 10-55V.

One line worried me, "Note: If there are multiple output lines at the output end, please load the load equally, and do not combine the load."
Does that mean that charging one phone would be a bad idea?

Thanks for your guidance!

MEIRIYFA DC to 5V Dual USB Converter Module can convert unstable voltage DC 12V/36V/48V into stable DC 5V / 3A output.
★This converter has dual USB female charging ports, which can charge 2 devices at the same time.
The DC to 5V dual USB converter module has automatic protection functions such as overcurrent and short circuit.
- Input voltage: DC 10-55V.
- Output voltage: DC 5V.
- Output current: 3A max.
- Output power: 15W max.
- Conversion rate as high as 90% or more.
- Synchronous rectifier chip.
- Multilayer thickened PCB.
- Small size, high efficiency, easy installation and use.
- Epoxy potting design.
- It has the functions of anti-shock, waterproof, moisture-proof and dust-proof.
- Size: 46*32*18mm (L*W*H).
Package includes: 1xDC to 5V Dual USB Female Converter Module.
Note: If there are multiple output lines at the output end, please load the load equally, and do not combine the load.

Aside from that odd "Note" it would seem to be fine.

I have personally used this one with no issues loading a single port:

It has a narrower input voltage range, but that should work with 12V panels (17-22V typical).

Aside from that odd "Note" it would seem to be fine.

I have personally used this one with no issues loading a single port:

It has a narrower input voltage range, but that should work with 12V panels (17-22V typical).

Thank you for your quick response, and link to what you use.

While trying to find threads in the forum, I ran across this discussion about the dangers of the unit failing and allowing direct current through to the device. They talk about "isolation" in this thread.

I note the unit you linked says "Protection: output over-voltage protection (limited max output voltage is 13V, ensure it won't exceed 13V when the chip fail to function); input with fuse."

And the unit I linked says, "The DC to 5V dual USB converter module has automatic protection functions such as overcurrent, overtemperature, and short circuit, and can work normally after the conditions are restored."

Do you have any opinions on the risks to devices, or the adequacy of these protections?

Back