diy solar

diy solar

Will this work?

onebad06vtx

I am looking to build a solar systen to run my rv ac unit over night on weekends only.
Will a 12v 200ah lithium battery,renogy 3000 w inverter and 3-100w solar panels be enough?
What do I need to accomplish my goal?
Thanks

Without the datasheet on the A/C unit its impossible to answer with accuracy. However, based on a typical RV rooftop unit electrical consumption the answer would be NO.

Add a micro air easy start . Then while at home in your drieway runn your ac. Add battery/ solar as needed.

Depends a lot on the efficiency of the AC and ambient temps. Rule of thumb is usually you get about 1 hour per 100AH (at 12V) for running an RV AC.

onebad06vtx, Being an rv owner myself and spending many camping hours in various weather conditions, I can tell you that how well insulated your rv is, and what the weather is like is going to play a big part in how much power your going to use from your ac. I have spent a night in the Nevada desert where the temp never dipped below 100F. An A/C is going to power through some battery in that weather. Springtime here in Idaho. Not so much. As I mentioned before a Micro air easy start is going to decrease the amount of power you use. It does this by slowly bringing the ac to speed thus decreasing the power needed to start it. This will save on battery. I have no affiliation with Micro air except as a happy customer.

You would need about 6 of those batteries to run your A/C for 8 hours. And about 3000 watts of solar panels to charge the batteries back up. You would need double or triple the solar if you want to run the A/C while the batteries are charging.

If a 48V or 12V…
How many batteries?
…you would need however many batteries add up to the watt hours required.
One 48V 100Ah LiFePo4 is ~5kWh; 100Ah
Four 48V 100Ah LiFePo4 is ~20kWh; 400Ah
One 12V 100Ah LiFePo4 is ~1.2kWh; 100Ah
Sixteen 12V 100Ah LiFePo4 is ~20kWh; 1600Ah at 12V, 400Ah at 48V
Will a 12v 200ah lithium battery,renogy 3000 w inverter and 3-100w solar panels be enough?
That is 2.4kWh.

So if going with 400Ah at 48V being ‘right’ the 12V 200Ah ain’t gonna do it.
You would need about 6 of those batteries to run your A/C for 8 hours. And about 3000 watts of solar panels to charge the batteries back up. You would need double or triple the solar if you want to run the A/C while the batteries are charging.

I was planning plug and play,but what I am finding out is it wont work with out investing alot for batteries.
Im not spending $4000 for just batteries.

not spending $4000 for just batteries
12V 200Ah and 100Ah options abound. < ~$1000 for = 100Ah 48V
The other factor is lifespan: you are looking at 12-20 year lifecycle, or $200/year at $4k spend… and no noise

Last edited:
For $2200 + Tax,license and dealer prep you can get the new EVE lf560K 560ah battery cells from china and a jkbms. Build your own and have more than enough power.

Back