diy solar

diy solar

Criticise my component list

Timbrolo

Hey all,

Bit of a weird one here... I started researching solar 3 days ago to budget for my upcoming build in April, while window shopping I saw that Renogy has some massive January sales that end in 2 days so I need some help determining if the components I've selected are compatible with each other and are fit for my purposes.

Components:

2x 200 Watt 12 Volt Monocrystalline Solar Panel
RENOGY 12V/24V IP67 50A DC-DC Battery Charger with MPPT
2x Solar Panel Extension Cable with Male to Female Solar Connectors (Single) 10ft, 10AWG
2x 12V/24V/48V 200Ah Core Series Deep Cycle Lithium Iron Phosphate Battery
1000W 12V Pure Sine Wave Inverter with Power Saving Mode (New Edition)
500A Battery Monitor With Shunt

Still need to source fuses and wiring for a lot of the components so would appreciate recommendations and guidance there too.

I'm looking at a total saving of $1,160 versus Renogy's listed price, 30% on most components so if I dont get the answer I need I will probably still buy the batteries, panels and inverter as I'm 95% they are what I want to meet my needs.

Any advice appreciated.
T

looking at a total saving of $1,160 versus Renogy's listed price, 30% on most components so if I dont get the answer I need I will probably still buy the batteries, panels and inverter as I'm 95% they are what I want to meet my needs.

Any advice appreciated
My advice would be avoid renogy.
Too easy to find peaks in the complaints curve.

Based on your 30%-off metric you are planning a ~<$4000 spend.

For $4000 I think you could do a lot better- a lot better.
A local guy that conscripted me
(he showed up on my property and asked if I knew how to install solar. I guess all the panels looked like a billboard😂 but anyway I agreed)​
to install a backup system got with my guidance: 3600W of panels, ironridge roof mounts, LV6548, ~10kWh batteries, subpanel, cabling, combiner box, etc for ~$8,000.

So $4000 for 400W of panels, < ~5kWh of battery, and a 1000W inverter does not compute in my mind.

….never mind that this about half the panels you need for the battery capacity- though at 1000W output it might work -ish for a weekend use if the kWh/day isn’t excessive

Seems like Renogy is always having sales that are about to end.
30% off overpriced mid-tier or lower shelf products lures a lot of people.
One can only ‘save’ based on value. A discount is arbitrary and irrelevant

You haven't said what your requirements are? Have you done an energy audit?
I've done an energy audit and need approx 116ah/day. 4 days in the bank with conservative use. 3-way charging (shore hook-up added later). And absolute max of 960W AC needed.

I've done an energy audit and need approx 116ah/day. 4 days in the bank with conservative use. 3-way charging (shore hook-up added later). And absolute max of 960W AC needed.
You need a lot more than that 1kW inverter

Ah OK.. on a boat then. So @ 12v, 116Ah will be about 1.4kWh / day.

What about a Buck-boost for the laptop and then no inverter required? (And why do they call it shore power when motorhomes don't float? :unsure:)

Obvious.... It must be a start-up surge of 300W for the smoothie maker, and he has 20 laptops needing 33W each :)
I love the little 1012LV-MK but it needed a 2kW inverter. 1000W points itself out more than I like- it wouldn’t start my shopvac lol
For so little cost difference I’d not do a 1000W inverter again.

Wow, $350 for this? You can do FAR BETTER for less.

400W solar / 14V charging = 28A charging

You could get top quality equipment for about that:
$125 now, 49% off. I paid double for mine and is worth every penny.

18A DC-DC $155 ($250 for 30A)

This would be an awesome solution.

If you were considering more solar, i'd spend a little more for the 50A SCC.

5 year warranty is mighty nice but you'd likely never need it.

And the bluetooth on both these is so easy to setup and monitor. Amazing functionality.

I am a full-time MotorHome with a Victron system (all except the diy battery), I have helped a bunch of people on this site.

Victron issues are usually easy to deal with - just change a setting or two - they are also easier to figure out because of all the information available.

Renogy issues are much more difficult…

A lot of people over the years (in RV/boat space) originally bought Renogy then upgraded to Victron.

Figure out your system with both - just to make sure you are not paying Cadillac prices for a Yugo.

Also, RV solar panels need to be very careful picked, so they fit. Roof space is so precious and limited that you want to make sure you have the exact right size before buying- the right size could be the one you selected- or a bigger one or smaller ones.

Also your selected inverter, you will need to either use it and plug items directly into it, or you will need a transfer switch to use it to power the all the outlets in your rig.

Good Luck

your selected inverter, you will need to either use it and plug items directly into it, or you will need a transfer switch to use it to power the all the outlets in your rig.
My first inverter didn’t use a transfer switch. Too simple if a solution: plug the 30A cord into a 15A adapter, plug that into inverter. Done. No mixing power issues.
of course I didn’t have a grid option anyway LOL

Back