diy solar

diy solar

Sailboat solar equipment list Feedback plz?

xavpil

Here's what I am buying for my boat:
1200 W (2x400w and 2x200) solar set up on my boat.
2x 400Ah Dakotam Lithium LifeSp04 Battery 12v
4x MPPT Victron 100/30
1x INVERTER / CHARGER Victron Multiplus C 12/2000/80-50 120V DC to AC inverter and charger.
1x Victron Energy Cerbo-S GX for System Monitoring and Control
2x Victron Energy Battery Switch ON/Off 275 amp
2x DC Disconnect Switch, 40A 1000V Solar Disconnect Switch IP65 Circuit Breaker
Busbars
2x INLINE fuse
Various fuses, MC4 etc...

and now where I need clarification because I am confused.
to monitor the charges and all, I understand that I need a Shunt (Victron Energy SmartShunt 500 amp Battery Monitor (Bluetooth))

confusion is where I am not too sure what I need from these:
Victron Digital Multi Control 200/200A GX
Victron Energy BMV 712 Smart Battery Monitor with Bluetooth.
Victron Energy GX Touch 50, Display Screen for Cerbo GX

Here's what I am buying for my boat:

confusion is where I am not too sure what I need from these:
Victron Digital Multi Control 200/200A GX
Don’t need the Digital Multi Control at all. Everything this does can be done in the Cerbo.
Victron Energy BMV 712 Smart Battery Monitor with Bluetooth.
The shunt part will attach right by the batteries- the battery side of the shunt goes to the negative of the battery (either to the battery bus bar or directly to the battery depending how to wire your batteries up). All loads & chargers will be on the “load” side of the shunt - there should be no other “negative” wires attached to the batteries. This display you can put wherever you want.

Victron Energy GX Touch 50, Display Screen for Cerbo GX
This screen will be what you look at to see your system- so mount it somewhere easy and convenient to look at.

Cerbo: you will have communication cables going from each mppt, inverter and display of BMV712 to the Cerbo. And a hdmi going to the Touch 50. So plan its location somewhere that makes sense.

Your four mppt’s - I am assuming you are putting one on each solar panel. You can save some space and $ by using two 100/30 and two 100/20’s.

Also, buy your Victron stuff from a Victron dealer (don’t use amazon) go over your plans and list before you buy - he may catch something… also he will give you support. When I did a large order my dealer gave me a discount and free shipping.

Will the inverter 12/2000 run everything you need. I believe for induction loads its max is 1600watts (look on the data sheet) and if it gets hot it derate from there. (Or do need to bump up to 12/3000? - probably not).

Good luck. Did I explain it well?

You don't need a smart shunt and a BMV battery monitor. The BMV has a shunt. If you want a gauge mounted somewhere, like the console, to see battery state you want the BMV. If you want to do all monitoring from a GX device you only need the Smart Shunt.

Needs and wants. You don't NEED the Cerbo, Smartshunt, BMV, or display.
You _should_ have some way to monitor the state of charge of your batteries. Noting that Dakota doesn't provide a bluetooth app for that as some others manufacturers do. That can be either the Smartshunt, or the BMV, it need not be both. The only difference is that the BMV has a little round display, and the smartshunt requires a smartphone. (The BMV can work with a phone as well as its own display)
The Cerbo allows you to see the Shunt or BMV, and the MPPTs, all by either using one phone app, one display, or remotely via the Internet. This is opposed to looking at all of them individually. But you have all the same function without it. It is nice to be able to monitor remotely via the Internet, but other than that it doesn't add much. If you add it, you don't need the display, you can use your phone. But if you like fancy displays mounted somewhere, then it's available.

Back