diy solar

diy solar

Wills transfer switch product and the need for an unbonded neutral

mtt04

Will I was looking at your video on the transfer switch you were reviewing.

I am putting together a solar solution for my bunkie and I have a questions regarding design.

My reliable power 3000 watt inverter requires a bonded neutral in a small sub panel which is connected to it which I'll use to power the AC in the bunkie.
It is hardwired to the inverter through the inverters terminal block

There should only ever be one bonded neutral in a topology from I understand.

I have a 60 amp grid service in the bunkie fed by the garage now.

I'm taking as much grid out of the power requirements for the bunkie as possible but still am considering a 220v circuit grid connected with a transfer switch to provide power the solar as required if the batteries go go below threshold.

That grid panel has bonded neutral at source in the garage. The bunkie panel doesn't since there is one in the garage that feeds it.

I am wondering if I need to remove the bonded neutral in my solar? Or does the transfer switch stop backfeed including bonding???

I would think I'd need to remove the solar bonded neutral to ensure one bonded neutral in the whole setup.

The garage would have one and everything doesn't.

It may be also that I can't provide grid to my bonded neutral solar setup? Not a big deal really but for the price of the transfer switch it's dirt cheap backup

Any thoughts folks?

Last edited:
The ruling on bonded neutral locations are this.

There can only be one, and it must be their FIRST connection point.

In a transfer switch situation, the feeders go to the transfer switch first. So IT must have the bonded neutral, and ALL downstream panels must have separated neutral and grounds.

If your main panel is downstream of the transfer switch, all grounds must be placed on panel bonded bussbars, and the neutral bars must be unbounded from the panel.

Thanks guys as I thought. So the transfer switch has the bonded neutral - correct?

diy solar

diy solar
Back