diy solar

diy solar

Wire awg for van setup

skivo

Hi there,
Quite novice in electrical, but I embarked on building a camper.
So here I am a bit stomped.
My question is what gauge wire should I be using.
Although my question might be coming too late at this point as I have run 14 awg for lights and some usb 3.0a ports for charging the phone etc.
I will be running 2 segments of 4 or 5 lights of 3w each. 2 reading lights of similar power separately.
For each USB charging outlet I have run a separate wire.
I have run a wire for water pump and a Fridge (for which I might have to up the size I assume)
Thanks in advance for your input!
skivo

One thing to keep up front in wiring plans is the connection points.
Neat, accessible, organized and labeled. Secure connections. Avoid loose wirenut connections.
Individual device wires usually can be #16. Up to about 10 amps
120v AC Receptacles should be entirely #12.
#14 is fine for residential receptacles but, in an rv, I like to consider all outlets kitchen rated. All ground fault protected, and all able to supply 20amps...

Are you stringing single strand wiring, or running NMC (romex)?

Last edited:
Correct. My initial question was about DC...
For 120v I have run 12awg Ancor marine wire.
I'll have 3 receptacles and one wire for induction cook top. The receptacles will be mostly for charging phones and laptop.

Also don't use solid wire in a mobile application, the vibration going down the road will cause it to crack, etc...only use stranded wire for mobile use.

For AC? All my AC is regular Romex. Been fine for 30+ years.
Well, 30 years says something I’m sure.
But I think his comments were on the 12v wiring. Larger amps and cables are more susceptible to vibration issues. More mass moving.

My comment applied to ALL wiring, solid wire is not safe to use in a mobile environment. Just because one user hasn't had issues yet doesn't change the fact it's not safe. Another user may not run any fuses and not had an issue in years....doesn't mean it's safe to do.

Back