diy solar

diy solar

wiring solar panel question

RVsolargen

I built my van into a RV, and I chose the natures generator elite two pod setup.

I currently have two solar panels per pod.

I bought two more solar panels, so I can have three panels per pod. That will max out my units.

My problem is I can't get to the wiring to plug in the three way cable connectors.

So I asked for help advice on cutting the cables and splicing things back together. They told me no, the cables can't be cut or shortened. I assume they say this just to protect themselves from my DIY mistakes.

So I came here to ask for guidance.

I want to cut off all the excess solar cable length that is not needed. Is that okay to do ?

Is it okay to solder the wires together in parallel wiring ?

Does anything need addressed when cutting up and connecting everything back together ?

Can I splice into cable anywhere I want joining wires anywhere along the length of cable ?

I plan on soldering wires together and shrink wrapping.

It seems basic no big deal, but I'm not sure if there's rules I need to be aware of for doing this.
Thanks for helping me.

With 3 panels in parallel. You will need to protect each panel with a fuse.
This is because if one panel develops a short. You will now have two panels sending power into it. And that is twice the power it's rated to handle. Which means that the panel can catch fire.

This is because if one panel develops a short. You will now have two panels sending power into it. And that is twice the power it's rated to handle. Which means that the panel can catch fire.
Thank you.
What type of fuse and size ?
Should I put a inline fuse on each panels red positive wire ?
Then splice it all together .

I cut the 50 ft. solar cables lengths down to 20 ft. and 30 ft. range lengths, each is different length. How much will these shorter cable raise the voltage ? I was told if the voltage exceeds 22 volts it will damage the generator. Can you help me calculate this ? three panels being used per pod generator.
My solar panels rating 100W, fuse rating 8A, voltage 17V~22V.
Can you help me calculate inline fuses ? I think I need a 8amp fuse on all positive panel wires, and I'm guessing maybe a 30 amp on the positive before the generator plug end.
I'm confused on if I need the fuses, but I doubt it will hurt to have them.
Thanks for helping.
I tried to ask the co. but I need your help also. Thank you.

OK, so your solar gen has a PV input limit of 22v? That's really low and is going to make things a real PITA because a lot of panels tend to be over that and more when it's cold out.

So, beyond that the wire length should be measured for the longest run as everything else will be less voltage drop. Over 50ft though the drop is so little that it's not really worth worrying about too much. As to the fuses, look at the Isc rating of the panel and multiply by 1.25 rounding up. So if the Isc is 7.65a then multiply by 1.25 and round up, which would be 10a.

OK, so your solar gen has a PV input limit of 22v? That's really low and is going to make things a real PITA because a lot of panels tend to be over that and more when it's cold out.

So, beyond that the wire length should be measured for the longest run as everything else will be less voltage drop. Over 50ft though the drop is so little that it's not really worth worrying about too much. As to the fuses, look at the Isc rating of the panel and multiply by 1.25 rounding up. So if the Isc is 7.65a then multiply by 1.25 and round up, which would be 10a.
Thanks.
So cutting my 50ft. cable down to 20 ft. won't spike the voltage enough to the limit of 22v ?

Last edited:
I found the solar fuse inline holders.
I was going to just guess and use a 10 amp on each panel and a 30 amp on the main before the generator.
I couldn't figure out the calculation and natures generator said they can't help someone do this to there products.
Can you help make sure I'm okay doing this and fuse size is good ?
I have the natures generator elite with two solar panels 100w 8amp voltage 17~22v
I am trying to add a third panel which is advised by company but I can't connect it there way. I have to splice into at location I can access the cable.

The modifications I made are shortening cable lengths down from 50ft to 20ft. and I will splice the third solar panel into the old generator cable running the other two panels.
Will a 10a fuse on each pos be okay ? and will a 30a fuse on cable before generator be okay for my generator ?
I wasn't able to communicate with natures generator to get anymore knowledge than this.

Thanks for helping.

Check solar panel labels for fuse size.
You don't need a fuse for the wire going to the charge controller. But a disconnect is recommended for maintenance.

Check solar panel labels for fuse size.
You don't need a fuse for the wire going to the charge controller. But a disconnect is recommended for maintenance.
I finally connected all three 100w panels are wired into gen. pod.
I wanted to ask if my multimeter test is correct ? I still only have a 80 reading on one set of three, and a 90 reading on the other set of three panels. I don't comprehend this well.
I don't know if that's correct for parrel ? I thought maybe it should read 300w for three panels.
I think it read 24v still.
I was able to check for pos. wire throughout wiring everything, that is good.
I was just not sure on my overall power reading.
I think it is all working fine.
Thanks for any help

I finally connected all three 100w panels are wired into gen. pod.
I wanted to ask if my multimeter test is correct ? I still only have a 80 reading on one set of three, and a 90 reading on the other set of three panels. I don't comprehend this well.
I don't know if that's correct for parrel ? I thought maybe it should read 300w for three panels.
I think it read 24v still.
I was able to check for pos. wire throughout wiring everything, that is good.
I was just not sure on my overall power reading.
I think it is all working fine.
Thanks for any help
How much production you will get is determined by two things.
How much sunlight is hitting the panels.
And how much power your system can pull from the panels.

Back