diy solar

diy solar

Xantrex Solar Charging System

KronicPain

I own a 5Th Wheel RV with a XANTREX Solar Charging System. I would like to be able to run everything in my RV to include my 15k air conditioner. Being new to solar charging systems I would like to find out if I can or need to upgrade my existing system. I believe that it's capable of 24V but unsure if it will work with my 12v RV system. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have attached PDF files of my equipment and I have listed parts of my system below:

Xantrex 30A MPPT SolarCharge Controller (12/24VDC) Model #710-3024-01

Xantrex Freedom X2000Inverter 120VAC 12VDC Model #817-2000

WFCO Deck Mount Converter/ Charger Output: 55 Amps DC Input: 105-130 VAC, 60 Hz, 950W Model # WF-9855

(2 )XANTREX SOLAR MAX PANEL 115W PN: 784-9115-01

(2) Newpowa 220W Monocrystalline Solar Panel 10BBCell Solar Panel 220 Watt 12V High Efficiency Mono Module RV

(1) VESTWOODS 12V 250Ah 200A BMS, LiFePO4 Lithium Rechargeable Battery

Attachments

• 30A-MPPT-Solar-Charge-Controller-Owners-Guide.pdf
    3.1 MB · Views: 1
  • freedom_x_2000 owners_guide.pdf
    2.8 MB · Views: 3
  • AutoDetect-9800-AD-Series-ManualCat-2.pdf
    4.8 MB · Views: 0
You have 670w if solar panels, guess 500W actual, 5 hrs a day. 2500 Watt-hrs incoming power. Now compare that to what your 15k airco uses... I guarantee it is more than 2500 Watt-hrs, probably well more than that an hour.

You can run your system off shore power, you weren't clear what you were after, you just asked if you could run your system, didn't say solar or shore power...

Anyways, your basic calc is always the same: you can only run airco off solar as much as you gather of solar, it is a simple calc and your 1st system design consideration. The basic answer is that most folks can't ever run an airco off solar unless they have a large RV roof completely filled with panels.

But with shore power fillups, you can do decent. Need your airco specs, how much it uses per hour. Nice setup if you don't try to run airco off battery much.

You may need as much as 1500 watts of power to run the typical RV Air Conditioner, it depends on the unit. You are gonna need a lot more panels if you want to run from solar. And a lot more batteris if you want to run the A/C when the sun isn't shining.

You should do an Energy Audit (info in the following link) to get an idea what is really needed to do what you want.

You have 670w if solar panels, guess 500W actual, 5 hrs a day. 2500 Watt-hrs incoming power. Now compare that to what your 15k airco uses... I guarantee it is more than 2500 Watt-hrs, probably well more than that an hour.

You can run your system off shore power, you weren't clear what you were after, you just asked if you could run your system, didn't say solar or shore power...

Anyways, your basic calc is always the same: you can only run airco off solar as much as you gather of solar, it is a simple calc and your 1st system design consideration. The basic answer is that most folks can't ever run an airco off solar unless they have a large RV roof completely filled with panels.

But with shore power fillups, you can do decent. Need your airco specs, how much it uses per hour. Nice setup if you don't try to run airco off battery much.
I have a domestic penguin 15k, domestic brisk 15k and furrion 15.5k all use under 1500w. If OP has a 250ah 12v 3000wh battery he should be able to run for about 2 hours. Would definitely need an easy start and even then I doubt it'll start under 200a 12v or 20a 120v which is his BMS limit.

I would like to run it off of solar / battery. I'm guessing that I need around 1600w of solar and a couple more LiFePO4 Lithium Rechargeable Batteries. Below is specs of my Xantrex MPPT 30 amp solar charge controller which I'm guessing that I need an upgrade to run the air conditioner. If I run my existing MPPT 24v / 1170w PV input, would this still work with my RV 12volt system. This controller states that it is capable of utilizing 2 batteries, " #1 30amp for inverter and #2 1amp house battery". I did attach the specs in PDF form that makes more sense than I can. Thanks for any help.

Rated Charge Current Battery

1:30A Battery
2:1A Battery

Voltage Range 8 to 32V

Max. PV Open Circuit Voltage 100V

MPP Voltage Range (Battery voltage + 2V) up to 72V

Max .PV Input Power 12V: 580W
24V:1170W

RatedCharge Power 12V: 390W
24V:780W

Back