diy solar

diy solar

10*290 watt Panels

MrLostMickers

I have Bought 10 * 290 watt panels and I'm looking for some insight on what would be the best sort of setup. I get over 9 hours of direct sunlight NO SHADE at all. I have roughly 2.2kwh of daily use and 3.2 kWh on laundry days. I'm looking for the right charge controller and some set up for monitoring all the power usage. any help is welcome ^.^/)!

i am new to this being a grid tied blubberer!

panel specs below per Manual !

Manufacturer:SolarWorld
Product Line:Sunmodule
Model ID:SWA 290 MONO
Certifications and Safety Ratings:
ce.gif
ul.jpg
csa.jpg
iec.jpg
vde.jpg

Mechanical Data
Technology:Monocrystalline (Mono)
Dimensions:65.95 x 39.40 x 1.30 inches (SWA 290 MONO Dimensions)
Weight:39.70 lbs
Front Glass:Tempered Glass with ARC (EN 12150)
Back:Multi-Layer Polymer Backsheet, White
Frame:Black Anodized Aluminum
Junction Box:IP65
Connector:PV Wire (UL4703) with Amphenol UTX Connectors
Module Fire Performance:(UL 1703) Type 1
Operating Temperature:-40°C to +85°C

Electrical Data
Nominal Maximum Power (Pmax):290 Watts
Open Circuit Voltage (Voc):39.60 Volts
Maximum Power Point Voltage (Vmpp):31.90 Volts
Short Circuit Current (Isc):9.75 Amps
Maximum Power Point Current (Impp):9.20 Amps
Module Efficiency:17.30%
Maximum System Voltage:1000V
Power Sorting:-0 Wp / +5 Wp
Maximum Reverse Current:25 Amps
Number of Bypass Diodes:3

Last edited:
What are the spec (Voc, Vmp, Imp, Isc) of the panels? You will need that and then get the spec of the SCC so that the panels wiring configuration will not cause Voc (+15% head room in cold condition) to be higher than the max PV input spec of the SCC.

You've given very little useful information.

"9 hours of direct sunlight" has very little meaning in terms of potential production. Your location does, as the physical orientation of your panels and your weather have a huge influence on your production.

Your battery voltage plays a key role in SCC selection.

Assuming your 290W panels are 24V panels.

You have 4 options:

1) Ten panels in series: 10S
2) Five series, two parallel: 5S2P
3) Ten panels in parallel: 10P
4) Two series, five parallel: 2S5P

Options 1 and 2 will require a very high voltage MPPT controller (>250V).
Option 3 can be filled with a 100V MPPT.
Option 4 can be filled with a 150V MPPT.

The good news is that 2900W of panels should be more than enough to supply your stated needs except during bad weather and the coldest winter months.

Recommend you build your system based off the power requirements nad not the solar panels.

AN energy audit now would be very helpful in a KWH per day.

Also, if this is not grid tied, amount of days to get through with no production because of storms, etc is great to know.

option 3 seems best what set up will produce power a
What are the spec (Voc, Vmp, Imp, Isc) of the panels? You will need that and then get the spec of the SCC so that the panels wiring configuration will not cause Voc (+15% head room in cold condition) to be higher than the max PV input spec of the SCC.
updated with better info

Recommend you build your system based off the power requirements nad not the solar panels.

AN energy audit now would be very helpful in a KWH per day.

Also, if this is not grid tied, amount of days to get through with no production because of storms, etc is great to know.
2.2kwh of daily use and 3.2 kWh on laundry days at +25% on top probably don't need 10 then x.x

2.2kwh of daily use and 3.2 kWh on laundry days at +25% on top probably don't need 10 then x.x
That is very useful information.

With the 10 panels, I start thinking about setting four to six up in a south facing direction. I have not done all in one systems, but for a inverter, need to look at what the laundry machine will draw. The motor will pull more than its rated wattage and will need a higher powered solar inverter for that laundry machine than the wattage that would run the same wattage machine an a gas generator.

For the limited panels being set up, that lets you get some data, and you can go back at a later date for adding more in an east facing direction for early morning power, and a west facing direction for evening power. THis will really be based off your usage.

You’ll be pushing more amperage than your batteries need, at most points, so I recommend a lithium battery pack so you can push as much as possible into the batteries. With this, you can run your washer at noon after the battery pack is charged and there’s enough sun on those panels or replace the batteries as quick as its drawn.

In my signature block, there’s a link for same system, different areas, big difference. That shows how its relatively easy to set a system up in a solar paradise where I live in Arizona compared to a cloudy Seattle area. Also goes into a good explanation of what is needed for battery backup for cloudy weather. Different in both areas.

When I did my calculation for that worst weather time of year, I got enough to make it through a couple days on my worst uses. TUrns out most days my usage is much lower, so my battery power could last days or weeks.

THere’s an infinite number of ways to put this together, and my best way will be way different than someone else’s.

As others have said pannel setup will be highly dependent on the SCC you use.

I think the inexpensive hybrid inverters are perfect for these setups.

A 3000TL-LVM growatt is 3kw supports upto 80a at 145v
however they also make a 3kw version that supports up to 250v and a 5kw eu only version that is 220v only but supports up to 450v PV

In my case im running 8 pannels per inverter at 2s4P config. about 60v @ 35a.

with 10 pannels you could run 2s5p. 3s3p would be an option and only use 9 panels. (or get 2 more for 3s4p)

depending on equipment you choose its also possible to run all the panels in series.

Grid-tied is a completely different beast. You need to check with your local regulators to see what is required to connect to the grid. Just buying panels and a grid-tie inverter falls way short of most requirements.

Grid-tied is a completely different beast. You need to check with your local regulators to see what is required to connect to the grid. Just buying panels and a grid-tie inverter falls way short of most requirements.
no grid here just 30kwh Liths ^.^/)

Back