diy solar

diy solar

12v 100Ah LiFEPO4 BMS Temp settings

I am also looking for some to say it is okay to buy Himassi! :unsure:I have 2 HQST 100-watt panels on my van with 2 lifeline 6v batteries in series.
I understand what you mean about purist and mixing in the past. However it does seem like Lifepo's might be more vulnerable to issues since they have a BMS. Just seems like there is a lot more going on in a Lifepo compared to AGMs.
You know, if you could just be sure that Himassi uses quaility, grade A cells in their batteries then I cant imagine what else would hold you back from grabbing one. If we could get someone out there to tear a Himassi down on video, you'd be all set. Since you havent bought a battery yet, youre also in a position to build your own out of individual lithium cells which, knowing what I know now, is what I would do if I were you. From what little Ive looked into the matter, building your own storage out of individual cells these days costs about the same as just buying an equivalent, pre-made Lifepo4 battery, but would pay off down the road because you could balance your system much more precisely and replace cells as/if they go bad instead of an entire battery.

Unfortunately, having already bought and installed 4 Wieze batteries, Im in a totally different boat.

You know, if you could just be sure that Himassi uses quaility, grade A cells in their batteries then I cant imagine what else would hold you back from grabbing one. If we could get someone out there to tear a Himassi down on video, you'd be all set. Since you havent bought a battery yet, youre also in a position to build your own out of individual lithium cells which, knowing what I know now, is what I would do if I were you. From what little Ive looked into the matter, building your own storage out of individual cells these days costs about the same as just buying an equivalent, pre-made Lifepo4 battery, but would pay off down the road because you could balance your system much more precisely and replace cells as/if they go bad instead of an entire battery.

Unfortunately, having already bought and installed 4 Wieze batteries, Im in a totally different boat.
Good point, probably out of my skill level! I may try the Himassi, since it Is built by the same company as Chins, Ampere time, Redodo and Zooms. All of their tear downs had good results, especially the heated Chins which uses the same Bluetooth App as Himassi.

Good point, probably out of my skill level! I may try the Himassi, since it Is built by the same company as Chins, Ampere time, Redodo and Zooms. All of their tear downs had good results, especially the heated Chins which uses the same Bluetooth App as Himassi.
Sweet! Definitely keep me up on your progress, if you would. Personally, I dont think that you'd be taking much of a risk by buying a Himassi. Not after everything we've discussed and learned about them so far. Id buy one literally right now if I thought I could safely mix them into my current system. I didnt know the same manufacturer made all those brands. Thats a pretty convincing reference since they have all been verified as having decent internal builds

Thanks for the heads up on brands. This post came up on a search when I tried determining who manufactured these cheap battery packs, and I largely signed up to say thanks! Also I ordered a couple to try since seems they’re listing the new ones at +$20 / $270 after establishing this label.

Thanks for the heads up on brands. This post came up on a search when I tried determining who manufactured these cheap battery packs, and I largely signed up to say thanks! Also I ordered a couple to try since seems they’re listing the new ones at +$20 / $270 after establishing this label.
If you end up ordering a Himassi definitely let us know here how they test out for you and what you think. Like me and Snowboard were talking about earlier, I dont think its a matter of risk since every indication suggests theyre decent batteries but the most convincing evidence of that would be to see one opened up. I honestly wish Id found them before buying my Weize batteries. Woulda saved me $150 per battery and the Himassi's are cold protected & Bluetooth to boot. The Weizes are cold protected but no Bluetooth.

One of my concerns with Chinese battery brands Ive never heard of is will they still be there to honor their 5 or 10 or whatever year warranties 5 & 10 years from now? Weize has been around awhile which gives me some hope that they'll still be in business to honor the 10yr warranty that comes with their Lifepo's. Hopefully I wont need the warranty but it being there provides a certain peace of mind.

Also, if you havent already bought your batteries, I still recommend that folk build their own. The cost per amp hour is pretty much the same either way but youd have so much more control over your storage bank by building it yourself out of individual Lifepo cells. If I knew when I 1st got into all of this what I know now about BMSs and how Lifepo batteries are put together and how being able to monitor and maintain each 3.2v cell can help extend the life and health of the storage bank they make up , I wouldve never bought pre-made batteries. Building your own storage system from individual lifepo cells is not difficult in the least. It only seems that way until you start looking into it.

If you end up ordering a Himassi definitely let us know here how they test out for you and what you think.
Will do! I did purchase two, with mild regret, but that’s because I’d been planning a more future proof system at 48v and to DIY what I could… yet pounced at this <$.20/kWh price instead while there was still a couple left. If they work, I’ll put these to good use. Could still cancel today’s order, nothing’s shipped, but these seem especially valuable for mobile purposes. I’ll gladly do a 180° if I’m wrong! I’m still learning how to shop in this sorta niche arena.

For clarity, my goal is to add about 2-5kWh of accessory power for a small-as-feasible mobile application, namely my hatchback car, in cold weather.

Also, if you havent already bought your batteries, I still recommend that folk build their own.
Thanks for looking out! Good advice and good goading too, I’ll still ultimately have to build packs later. I’m on a pretty minimal space, money, and timeline budget now so these may serve a purpose after-all since I’d have needed many tools etc. Maybe these become part of a portable-ish power pack, or auxiliary input to something down the road.

That said, I will thoroughly study these for reliability and safety while returns are convenient. I don’t even have a DC charger yet, but am handy and will try to figure something out before these arrive this week.

Do you have any suggestions on what’s helpful to test?

Ideally anything I purchase for testing is useful for a future mobile build. Like an MPPT rectifier inverter (whatever these are being called?) with sufficient batt amp output to test maximum constant charge load, and measure Ah in / out to verify against BMS reports etc. Unsure how to log BTLE data from this cringey EE-BMS app, but hopefully can export some data somehow to compare.

Re: tear down — I mentioned @Dking ’s post earlier today in another thread, because I’m confident (to the tune of $500!) their packs are identical to these batteries. They circled where the heaters are connected to. Wonder if BMS logic, as configured, creates volatile, serialized failure points out of each heater in the event of a problem. Point against prebuilt, sealed piles of low-quality kit that don’t give administrative or root passwords to the BMS, or even a reset facility. I fear you’re right to regret pre-builts!

Last edited:
Will do! I did purchase two, with mild regret, but that’s because I’d been planning a more future proof system at 48v and to DIY what I could… yet pounced at this <$.20/kWh price instead while there was still a couple left. If they work, I’ll put these to good use. Could still cancel today’s order, nothing’s shipped, but these seem especially valuable for mobile purposes. I’ll gladly do a 180° if I’m wrong! I’m still learning how to shop in this sorta niche arena.

For clarity, my goal is to add about 2-5kWh of accessory power for a small-as-feasible mobile application, namely my hatchback car, in cold weather.

Thanks for looking out! Good advice and good goading too, I’ll still ultimately have to build packs later. I’m on a pretty minimal space, money, and timeline budget now so these may serve a purpose after-all since I’d have needed many tools etc. Maybe these become part of a portable-ish power pack, or auxiliary input to something down the road.

That said, I will thoroughly study these for reliability and safety while returns are convenient. I don’t even have a DC charger yet, but am handy and will try to figure something out before these arrive this week.

Ideally anything I purchase for testing is useful for a future mobile build. Like an MPPT rectifier inverter (whatever these are being called?) with sufficient batt amp output to test maximum constant charge load, and measure Ah in / out to verify against BMS reports etc. Unsure how to log BTLE data from this cringey EE-BMS app, but hopefully can export some data somehow to compare.

Re: tear down — I mentioned @Dking ’s post earlier today in another thread, because I’m confident (to the tune of $500!) their packs are identical to these batteries. They circled where the heaters are connected to. Wonder if BMS logic, as configured, creates volatile, serialized failure points out of each heater in the event of a problem. Point against prebuilt, sealed piles of low-quality kit that don’t give administrative or root passwords to the BMS, or even a reset facility. I fear you’re right to regret pre-builts!

Your summary of the tear down of the probably same made battery is really good info. Its too bad about the gigs. I had hoped for better. I guess we all do.

As far as testing goes, Im no expert in any of this stuff. In fact, I fly by the seat if my pants far more than I should, im sure. What I see most people test a battery for is true capacity and whether or not a battery/BMS can handle the draw its rated for. I saw one test where a battery's BMS was supposed to limit draw to 100 amps but let it go up to around 180amps with the wiring practically melting before shutting things down. That was pretty scary to watch! If you could open your batteries, there would be other things Id be curious about the individual cells, such as make and whether or not theyre recycled. Saw one of Will's videos where the cells in a particular brand of battery were probably "recycled" from public transportation EV's and had just 80% capacity. Youd never know this unless you opened the battery up and looked at/tested each individual cell. The battery as a whole tested out at its stated capacity but that capacity was only 80% of what the inside cells had been rated at when new.

Finally, for the more electrically oriented person, I suppose that going pre-made battery or individual cells doesnt matter much since such a person can just open a troubled battery and diagnose the cells inside separately. After all, whats a pre-made battery but the same cells you might buy, sealed up inside a pretty plastic bucket?

Just checking in, Did you receive your batteries?

Just checking in, Did you receive your batteries?
Indeed, mine arrived within a week around low end of their nominal voltage. Got about 35aH out of one before voltage started sagging sharply. These were manufactured November 2021 per BMS initialization record, so pretty low self-discharge?

Testing it I’ll say self-discharge is negligible. I’m not setup to measure so little draw but voltages are the same (to two decimal points) a week later.

One battery stopped giving me ammeter data. Initially was -4.2a for an electric blanket, +.92a for a maintenance charger (to test the heaters) etc. Now one always shows 0.00.

There’s other quirks. They’re currently at .4°C with the UTC1 protection state flag broadcasting, yet the C-MOS is on. It doesn’t appear setup to ever actually turn that off, just route behind it? So power always can go in, just to 2x ~33w heaters (top and bottom) or batteries. If I set UTD/UTDC from default -20°C (!!!) to 40°C then it does kill the discharge MOS but never the charge MOS.

I’d strongly prefer these respect configuration profiles instead but, for the money, I’m happy. Will install a switch to disable the BT chip at some point, since these are configurable with hardcoded passcodes. I’ll let ya know if the company responds to my questions. If they’re good to work with, especially if they fix these problems, I’d consider suggesting them to friends.

Last edited:
Indeed, mine arrived within a week around low end of their nominal voltage. Got about 35aH out of one before voltage started sagging sharply. These were manufactured November 2021 per BMS initialization record, so pretty low self-discharge?

Testing it I’ll say self-discharge is negligible. I’m not setup to measure so little draw but voltages are the same (to two decimal points) a week later.

One battery stopped giving me ammeter data. Initially was -4.2a for an electric blanket, +.92a for a maintenance charger (to test the heaters) etc. Now one always shows 0.00.

There’s other quirks. They’re currently at .4°C with the UTC1 protection state flag broadcasting, yet the C-MOS is on. It doesn’t appear setup to ever actually turn that off, just route behind it? So power always can go in, just to 2x ~33w heaters (top and bottom) or batteries. If I set UTD/UTDC from default -20°C (!!!) to 40°C then it does kill the discharge MOS but never the charge MOS.

I’d strongly prefer these respect configuration profiles instead but, for the money, I’m happy. Will install a switch to disable the BT chip at some point, since these are configurable with hardcoded passcodes. I’ll let ya know if the company responds to my questions. If they’re good to work with, especially if they fix these problems, I’d consider suggesting them to friends.
Thanks for the follow up!

Back