diy solar

diy solar

12v/ 500w simple home installation

faroukrmt

Hi there,
am new to this forum and this is my first post I have solar system for my home which contain a Raggie 500w inverter, 10A rg-610 solar charge controller, 165w, 24v, 10A mono photovoltaic panel for a low power usage (phone changing, Pc, TV, led light.. ).
I bought a new 150Ah, 12v champion power Gel battery
and am wondering what is best recommended set-up using these components to power the house and insure the long battery lifetime in 10-25°C night and 15-40°C day conditions
also what are the additional recommended components to use (fuse...)
1000001902.jpgView attachment 201426
1000001905.jpg
thanks

Attachments

• 1000001900.jpg
    1000001900.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 11
This is the info needed:

Max.Voltage:17.5V
Max.Current:9.43A
Size:1470*670*35mm
RAGGIE 36Pcs Cells MC4 Connector
also what are the additional recommended components to use (fuse...)
it appears that is a pwm controller

Wildhat guessing you need probably 3 panels of that spec to support usage plus charging. Two ‘might’ do it.
You should have 10A fuses on the panels.
phone changing, Pc, TV, led light
500W inverter might be ok but I’d probably use 1000W or 1200W and know you can do other stuff with it, as well as not forcing the inexpensive inverter to work anywhere near its capacity.

The PC and TV are probably 200-300W by themselves. Maybe more? Just wildhat guessing with a good amount of headroom.

Wildhat guessing you need probably 3 panels of that spec to support usage plus charging. Two ‘might’ do it.
You should have 10A fuses on the papanels.
good, I'm just making sure that the system will not affect the battery health, by linking the inverter directly to the battery, and charging it with the controller at the same time during insolation, for me 500w is enough, i have used a car lead acid battery the last time and its damaged after about 1 month of use, I was thinking that it was charging and decharging several time a day when I have connected it to the inverter and controller at the same time during the day, I'm afraid the same scenario will repeat with my gel battery 1000001911.jpg

for me 500w is enough, i have used a car lead acid battery the last time and its damaged after about 1 month of use, I was thinking that it was charging and decharging several time a day when I have connected it to the inverter and controller at the same time during the day, I'm afraid the same scenario will repeat with my gel battery
That’s why I suggest more panels- less likely to suck the battery dry and damage it. FWIW a good flooded battery should outlast a hard-cycled gel battery all else being equal.
If temperatures are as controllable as you indicate, at today’s prices a cheap LiFePo battery will cost you less over five years and probably last 8-12 years- or more.

That’s why I suggest more panels- less likely to suck the battery dry and damage it. FWIW a good flooded battery should outlast a hard-cycled gel battery all else being equal.
If temperatures are as controllable as you indicate, at today’s prices a cheap LiFePo battery will cost you less over five years and probably last 8-12 years- or more.
alternatively, to prevent that scenario,, is it possible to link the inverter to the controller dc load output and support the high inverter start loads with a capacitor between inverter and controller (i saw that on yt vid), is this option prevents the battery damage ? (talking as a beginner 😁)

support the high inverter start loads
That’s off in the weeds

It’s not startup loads as you essentially don’t have anything that is heavy like induction motors.

It’s just to not be making the inverter work very hard being a way to aid longevity

It’s not startup loads as you essentially don’t have anything that is heavy like induction motors.
It's the inverter itself having a startup loads that shutting down my controller 12v DC load output (Pannel and battery also connected), I was keep trying till it starts successfull, then I use it normally until I use an appliance that need a heav(comparing to the system capacity) start loads.
so the best way to protect my gel battery is to add an additional Pannel, to keep it flooded.
can a 12v battery replace the additional pannel to support the charging capacity ?

can a 12v battery replace the additional pannel to support the charging capacity
No

But something seems wrong here:
It's the inverter itself having a startup loads that shutting down my controller 12v DC load output (Pannel and battery also connected)
are you trying to run the inverter from the load outputs of the SCC? (SCC = “controller”)

The inverter should connect to the battery.

500W at 12V is a potential ~45A load with a ridiculous less-than-second very high amp draw to charge the capacitors when you connect it.
SCC load outputs are typically rated at about the SCC charging output range. In your case, the load terminals likely max at 10A.

500W at 12V is a potential ~45A load with a ridiculous less-than-second very high amp draw to charge the capacitors when you connect it.
SCC load outputs are typically rated at about the SCC charging output range. In your case, the load terminals likely max at 10A.
It seems to be impossible to run the inverter on that wiring system, but it magically worked for me several times, including running my pc and led lights day/night with the Lead-acid Car battery 😅, I'll take your advices thanks!

Back