diy solar

diy solar

12v DC-DC Charger for Half of 24v Battery Bank?

I asked about this in another thread, as it was my first thought. Folks there told me it was basically a horrible idea.

As far as running 12v and big wires. I could do it, but need wire and a breaker that can handle upwards of 400a (voltage drop and potentially maximizing a 3000W inverter). I'd just rather run 24v and use a converter to feed my 12v fuse box.
Our bed will also be directly over the electric system, and our two little girls will be traveling in the van as well. Safety for them is primary in my mind.

Traveling , what a total waste not piping in some 12v charge from vehicle > https://climatebiz.com/charging-lithium-battery-with-alternator/

Its simply not less safe running 400A through the proper size wire. That just more megalophobia again. And that wire is not that much 'bigger' anyway. The area of a circle is pi times the radius squared. It doubles quickly with increase in radius.

But since we are talking about safety and its implied that my 12v suggestion is less safe I need someone to tell me what happens if one charger FAILS, like electronic are know to do, and only one of the two 12v batteries in a 24v series gets a charge and the other doesn't.

I know the answer but we have lots of people here, someone tell me what happens then and the safety issues with that!

Last edited:
Traveling , what a total waste not piping in some 12v charge from vehicle > https://climatebiz.com/charging-lithium-battery-with-alternator/

Its simply not less safe running 400A through the proper size wire. That just more megalophobia again. And that wire is not that much 'bigger' anyway. The area of a circle is pi times the radius squared. It doubles quickly with increase in radius.

But since we are talking about safety and its implied that my 12v suggestion is less safe I need someone to tell me what happens if one charger FAILS, like electronic are know to do, and only one of the two 12v batteries in a 24v series gets a charge and the other doesn't.

I know the answer but we have lots of people here, someone tell me what happens then and the safety issues with that!
You seem very angry, and I'm not sure why. Just asking questions here.

Back