diy solar

diy solar

Small 12V system? 200-300W of panels, 200AH of 12V battery, 48V boost converter?

wpns

Solar Joules are catch and release
My Favorite Wife is talking about putting a small solar power system at our Tiki hut on the beach, to get Internet for WiFi, a camera, and maybe a small cooler.

I've got some https://signaturesolar.com/grape-solar-100w-12v-solar-panel/ 100W panels, and I can get lightly used lead-acid golf cart batteries all day long.

So I'm looking for a 12V battery charge controller that would connect to a couple or three of those panels (Voc:23.1V Isc:5.59A) and charge 200AH of 12V batteries (default to 2S T-105 batteries, but could be anything). Since it's going to be outside in a marine environment, waterproof/fanless is a big win.

I may also need a small inverter for running a PoE switch, but maybe just a 48V boost converter would work...

I'd entertain a 48V LFP battery and SCC if they were rugged and inexpensive enough, but then I'd definitely be into 3S configuration, and now we're into serious Feature Creep...

Addenda: I've done the power budget for the internet radio, the WiFi, camera, PoE Switch, and at 36W continuous, 5.2 peak hours per day, it's probably 300W of panels and 200AH of 12V battery. Plus a 50-watt-class 12->48V DC-DC boost converter.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

If lead acid batteries are easy to come by why not just run 4s for 48V? 3s PV would be enough voltage wise. A Victron 100/20 is sealed and would give you bluetooth to keep track of the system.

The Morningstar Suresine 150w Inverters are fanless and look very heavy duty. They also are very efficient, but not cheap.

I bought a 200w cheap inverter for $17.99 on Amazon, it powers DC power supplies just fine, but I don't know how long one would last blowing salty air through it day and night. It would run a PoE no problem, on mine the fan only runs about half to time at 10w.

Edit: just looked at boost converter prices and at $16.99, unless you really want an outlet there, a 3A boost converter makes a lot of sense.

Last edited:
Back