diy solar

diy solar

12v EG4-LL not reporting low temp.

SpeedFusion

Denver just went threw a couple of cold nights for us, my Ruvvi sensor showed -2F on the outside of the van.

I have a full victron setup with two 12v 400ah EG4-LL connected and running DVCC. I set it up with DVCC to prevent low temp charging and have overall better battery life.

I was connected to shore power and the multiplus set to stop charging at 41F/5C but it was still charging at 35F/2C. (DVCC ignores the multiplus setting’s, since the batteries say they are fine to keep charging)

DVCC works but the batteries aren’t reporting low temperatures.

I stopped all charging and let the batteries get down to 29F and still no temperature alarms on the EG4 app or Victron.

Also the batteries are reporting the highest cell temperature to Victron not the lowest.

My questions are:

What temperature do the EG4-LL report low temperature to stop charging?

Can i change the EG4 to report the lowest cell temp to Victron instead???

Attachments

• IMG_2284.png
    IMG_2284.png
    243.2 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_2283.png
    IMG_2283.png
    187.3 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_2282.png
    IMG_2282.png
    140.1 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_2281.png
    IMG_2281.png
    140.5 KB · Views: 3
@SpeedFusion I just dealt with this in NY also. I've got 3 x 12v 400ah in my rv controlling my Victron setup as well. Batteries were at 23F and still charging. I shut everything down and contacted Signature Solar. I was very disappointed in their response. So there is no actual low temp cutoff. The only cutoff is a cell low temp cutoff which is around 21F. Which I did see throw an alert. However, when asked Signature Solar said not to charge the batteries below 32F or it could hurt the batteries. So without actual low temp cutoff, these batteries aren't much better than the cheaper non communication type batteries. I don't see much of a point of having the batteries be the controlling BMS if they don't have actual protections built in.
I think I'll have to add a temp sensor to my Victron system and use that to stop charging and remove these batteries as a controlling BMS. Anyone else experience this? I feel like there is a little wool over the eyes here unless I'm really missing something. Maybe @Will Prowse can throw his thoughts in here because I believe he's been recommending these batteries, but I think he really only recommends batteries (at this price point) that have low temp cutoff.

@Justice12t thanks for confirming im not the only one.

I didn’t even bother with SS this time since the last two times I contacted them they never got back to me.

The low temp shut off, was the main reason i was using DVCC. The EG4 don’t share available AH capacity either (one of the things SS never got back to me on). So with DVCC It won’t go into a float voltage, but wasn’t a big deal with the renewable setting on the multiplus.

I was planning on seeing if the EG4 BMS tool had any settings i can change to trigger the low temp.

I am looking at adding a 12v facon 12x18 heating pad, which should turn on when it hits 45F.

Last edited:
I just changed a few settings, and am going to see if DVCC On with controlling BMS Off will work. It should make the battery BMS act like the shunt with a temperature sensor.

1705444084486.png

That is my fall back also. Just remove the batteries from controlling and use Victron.

So far so good, with the batteries sharing info, but not a controlling bms.

It seems to have fixed the following:
Multiplus doesn't get stuck in absorption. (the bms wouldn't tell it to go to float)
The multiplus will now switch back to renewable once fully charged.
Mppt/Multiplus stop charging when the batteries hit 40F
Regardless of the load on the system, the EG4 BMS would drop the charge rate down to 100A at 90% and 20A at 98%. So if i was running the 12v DC AC on high, it would get stuck in the low 90% SOC, or take hours for that last 10%. It also would get stuck at 98% with just lights and the fridge.

Back