diy solar

diy solar

12v Lighting Question

balikbayan21

I'm helping on a science fair project and need some advice (please) before we buy parts.

Last year we took a small electric motor, added bearings and turned it into a "gravity battery". We measured power output after attaching different weights and found that this had somewhere between 6-12v output depending on how much weight was applied to the "battery"

This year I'd like to add a light bulb to the battery to act as a "known load", and try different weights again, measuring how long we can run the light with different weights.

I've played with electronics a few times and met the magic smoke before. I was hoping to directly attach this to the motor: https://www.amazon.com/CZC-AUTO-Underhood-Waterproof-Rainproof/dp/B07CXP4826/

I'm concerned that I might need to add something (resistor/capacitor/quantum carbourator) between the motor and light to prevent any overcurrent?

Maybe I'm over-thinking this. I'd like any input, and thank you for reading.

For light, you may want to try a small incandescent bulb in addition to a low amperage LED.

The low amperage LEDs like .1 amps are all on or all off, with an in between state of “flicker.”

An incedescetnt flashlight bulb will get dimmer and brighter with as power goes up and down.

That is a driven generator. Not a battery. The trick is to have a heavy enough weight that by using some pully system you can drive the generator long enough to be practical. As a side note, I rigged a crank handle to a VW windshield wiper motor. Cranking the motor faster furnished enough voltage to drive a small toy and kept some children busy.

Back