diy solar

diy solar

230v (europe) pump on split phase?

gotbeans

Solar Cooking Beans
Every question on this is basically the opposite of my question. e.g. https://diysolarforum.com/threads/2...an-inverter-and-us-split-phase-devices.60957/
I understand split phase to 230v 50hz is different as some devices in USA use 120v internally and 240v to run the motor. and the insulation internally may only be 120v blah blah
For example some electronics boards internally require a 120v so they'll be using the neutral line and a 120v line to run, and the 2 +-120v lines for ~240v to run the bigger part.. motors etc

Now to my question
I'm looking for "split phase" low wattage pumps and aeration and having an issue finding what I need. However there are plenty of low wattage 230v EU/UK pumps available, the voltage different shouldn't really matter, the 50hz vs 60hz may matter
Is there anything to really look out for or will these actually work?
I'd just be installing a UK plug or an EU plug and connect it to the 2 splits

should be able to setup a NEMA 6-15P plug and then use adapters like this

Last edited:
Not sure you need a 'split phase' pump as opposed to a '240 volt' pump.
Tons of 240 volt pumps around. What hp or flow rate and effective head is the pump serving?

Supply is 240v 60hz right?

Is there anything to really look out for or will these actually work?
Any device I've worked on that doesn't require a 3rd wire (neutral) doesn't care how it gets to 230v or 240v, it just wants to see 230v across two wires. YMMV

Not sure you need a 'split phase' pump as opposed to a '240 volt' pump.
Tons of 240 volt pumps around. What hp or flow rate and effective head is the pump serving?

Supply is 240v 60hz right?
Yea basically all I was wondering
all of the ones I am looking at have EU/UK/AU plugs only, which is simple enough to wire to.
All these tiny things I am looking at don't even mention 50 OR 60 hz though

was trying to find ones in USA that were for my specific case for "split phase" but basically non exist because the term "split phase" comes with a "this thing has to draw a crap load of power" sticker or something.

searching just 240v is fine, and tons of them on aliexpress etc
but none mention 50 or 60hz as I said, assuming since we're looking at like 25-100 watt pumps they don't even care to list frequency

Yah... Many 230V/60Hz pumps around. Not sure about low wattage.
what about running a 230v 50hz on 240v 60hz?
It'll spin faster and generate more heat :cry:

Any device I've worked on that doesn't require a 3rd wire (neutral) doesn't care how it gets to 230v or 240v, it just wants to see 230v across two wires. YMMV
well motors generally care about that 50 vs 60 frequency more than the voltage.. voltage can be like 180 - 270 in most cases

Last edited:
Neutral is generally isolated on any modern device so 120-120 is not a problem. 240 is within the tolerance of a 230v device. And 60hz should just run 20% faster than 50hz.

I'm least confident of the last one, maybe some complex motor factor doesn't agree with the hz change. But I'd be 90% sure that any euro pump would run on 240v/60hz ok. Probably use a GFCI if there's any shock hazard of course.

what about running a 230v 50hz on 240v 60hz?
It'll spin faster and generate more heat :cry:
I believe heat is more a function of load than higher RPM's. Thinking back to some of the VFD's I hooked up there were warnings about running non VFD rated motors at too low of speed due to a risk of overheating.

well motors generally care about that 50 vs 60 frequency more than the voltage.. voltage can be like 180 - 270 in most cases
Not in my generic experience. Voltage is more important than hZ. Voltage much outside of +/- 10% starts to produce undesirable and unpredictable results.

Neutral is generally isolated on any modern device so 120-120 is not a problem. 240 is within the tolerance of a 230v device. And 60hz should just run 20% faster than 50hz.

I'm least confident of the last one, maybe some complex motor factor doesn't agree with the hz change. But I'd be 90% sure that any euro pump would run on 240v/60hz ok. Probably use a GFCI if there's any shock hazard of course.
Yea I'll have a CAFCI and GFCI attached on them
They will be submerged pumps for most of them except 1 but I can watercool it, it'll be all aquaponics system stuff so plenty of water around to take some motor heat since it runs 20% faster as you say
Not in my generic experience. Voltage is more important than hZ. Voltage much outside of +/- 10% starts to produce undesirable and unpredictable results.
Not in this case of these motors. 230volts vs 240volts are too close, there's virtually always a range of what the input can be and that's well within the range of any tolerance.
You'd need extremely specific lab equipment if the voltage couldn't even change +-4%
I believe heat is more a function of load than higher RPM's. Thinking back to some of the VFD's I hooked up there were warnings about running non VFD rated motors at too low of speed due to a risk of overheating.
if so then there is no real issue I'm worried about then
nothing is really gonna have "heavy" load as far as I know. Maybe the air pumps kinda cuz they have pressure but most of the pumps will be freely moving water around

If the hz is not mentioned it must not matter. Some may turn faster at 60hz but may be of little consequence at this low power level.

Post the link of the item you are considering.
I don't really have a specific item, was just looking at 200 different things
Here's an air pump though as an example
this one does specifically say 50hz
There are many pumps here, from 25 watts to 500 watts

Back